Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Brandon Stagg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I have been wrestling with this for hours. I must be missing something
simple.

My local area network shares a cable modem with NAT. The host machine is a
Win98 box running Sygate for the NAT. Host machine is 192.168.0.1.

I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs Win98
and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using LILO). I
simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on this
machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet websites
fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look up -- and
it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:

IP: 192.168.0.4
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Name: marvin.blah.blah
host: marvin

I even tried changing the DNS address to the ISP DNS, but it made no
difference.

Now, can some guru tell me what is missing, or where else to check for
config problems? I was using Linuxconfig to make these settings. I would
imagine that the fact that the 192.168.0.1 machine is Win98 is irrelevant,
since all the client machines are able to access the net properly (even the
Linux box, when I boot into Win98 works right). Since I can access websites
with IP addresses I figure the network is at least MOSTLY configured
properly.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am a Linux newbie.

-Brandon Staggs

 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Lonnie Allen Watso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I to run a nat box connected to a cable modem. The problem as I see it is
that the Windows NAT software Sygate is not passing DNS requests on to the
host systems DNS server. The reason that the windows mode of your linux box
may do it is that it is likely using WINS resolution to host name requests.
SOmething that Sygate is likely handling properly.

As for the setup I use at home is a simple linux box running 4 IPchains
commands in RC.local. the IP setup is very simillar to yours

Gateway machine is at 192.168.0.1

local machines are in the range of 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254

Netmask is 255.255.255.0

Default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Now the dns for my cable setup is 24.0.240.33 primary and 24.0.240.34
secondary

So I set up the gateway in linux to be 192.168.0.1

And the DNS to be 24.0.240.33 Pri
                               24.0.240.34 Sec

I also did an

/etc/rc.d/init/d/network stop

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

Its that simple...

Your DNS address will be different than mine...

Good Luck

Lonnie Watson


Quote:> I have been wrestling with this for hours. I must be missing something
> simple.

> My local area network shares a cable modem with NAT. The host machine is a
> Win98 box running Sygate for the NAT. Host machine is 192.168.0.1.

> I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs Win98
> and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using LILO). I
> simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on this
> machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet
websites
> fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look up --
and
> it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:

> IP: 192.168.0.4
> Gateway: 192.168.0.1
> DNS: 192.168.0.1
> Netmask: 255.255.255.0
> Name: marvin.blah.blah
> host: marvin

> I even tried changing the DNS address to the ISP DNS, but it made no
> difference.

> Now, can some guru tell me what is missing, or where else to check for
> config problems? I was using Linuxconfig to make these settings. I would
> imagine that the fact that the 192.168.0.1 machine is Win98 is irrelevant,
> since all the client machines are able to access the net properly (even
the
> Linux box, when I boot into Win98 works right). Since I can access
websites
> with IP addresses I figure the network is at least MOSTLY configured
> properly.

> Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am a Linux newbie.

> -Brandon Staggs


 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by James Gra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


The file to look at is /etc/resolv.conf - make sure you have an entry for
your DNS server.  Secondly make sure your /etc/hosts file is correct for
your network and that the /etc/nsswitch is also configured to use "files
dns" in that order for look ups - basically that will force to machine to
look at your /etc/hosts file first before looking on your DNS server
(/etc/resolv.conf) for an IP address.

All this stuff is in the net3-howto.  Have a good read, you'll fix your
problem and learn a lot on the way :-)

Cheers,

James

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:40:47 -1000, "Brandon Staggs"

Quote:>I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs Win98
>and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using LILO). I
>simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on this
>machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet websites
>fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look up -- and
>it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:

>IP: 192.168.0.4
>Gateway: 192.168.0.1
>DNS: 192.168.0.1
>Netmask: 255.255.255.0
>Name: marvin.blah.blah
>host: marvin

 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Zubin Chandr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Use nslookup from the Linux box to check for problems in DNS. Type in
nslookup and go into interactive mode, then do

        server 192.168.0.1

and query as needed. (man page gives all options etc)

You might also want to look at /etc/resolv.conf and make sure
everything is OK.

I've used Sygate in the same configuration before and had better
results just putting the ISP's DNS numbers in the /etc/resolv.conf,
much simpler and it works well.

Hope it helps..

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:40:47 -1000, "Brandon Staggs"


>I have been wrestling with this for hours. I must be missing something
>simple.

>My local area network shares a cable modem with NAT. The host machine is a
>Win98 box running Sygate for the NAT. Host machine is 192.168.0.1.

>I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs Win98
>and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using LILO). I
>simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on this
>machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet websites
>fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look up -- and
>it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:

>IP: 192.168.0.4
>Gateway: 192.168.0.1
>DNS: 192.168.0.1
>Netmask: 255.255.255.0
>Name: marvin.blah.blah
>host: marvin

>I even tried changing the DNS address to the ISP DNS, but it made no
>difference.

>Now, can some guru tell me what is missing, or where else to check for
>config problems? I was using Linuxconfig to make these settings. I would
>imagine that the fact that the 192.168.0.1 machine is Win98 is irrelevant,
>since all the client machines are able to access the net properly (even the
>Linux box, when I boot into Win98 works right). Since I can access websites
>with IP addresses I figure the network is at least MOSTLY configured
>properly.

>Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am a Linux newbie.

>-Brandon Staggs

 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by dj_ren.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I am having the exact same problem, and have done the nslookup and can
resolve addresses to IP#s.  just getting the 'ping www.abc.com' to come
back is killing me.  immediate and perfect response to 'ping 1.2.3.4'
though.

I am going crazy here in TX, USA



> Use nslookup from the Linux box to check for problems in DNS. Type in
> nslookup and go into interactive mode, then do

>    server 192.168.0.1

> and query as needed. (man page gives all options etc)

> You might also want to look at /etc/resolv.conf and make sure
> everything is OK.

> I've used Sygate in the same configuration before and had better
> results just putting the ISP's DNS numbers in the /etc/resolv.conf,
> much simpler and it works well.

> Hope it helps..

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:40:47 -1000, "Brandon Staggs"

> >I have been wrestling with this for hours. I must be missing
something
> >simple.

> >My local area network shares a cable modem with NAT. The host
machine is a
> >Win98 box running Sygate for the NAT. Host machine is 192.168.0.1.

> >I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs
Win98
> >and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using
LILO). I
> >simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on
this
> >machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet
websites
> >fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look
up -- and
> >it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:

> >IP: 192.168.0.4
> >Gateway: 192.168.0.1
> >DNS: 192.168.0.1
> >Netmask: 255.255.255.0
> >Name: marvin.blah.blah
> >host: marvin

> >I even tried changing the DNS address to the ISP DNS, but it made no
> >difference.

> >Now, can some guru tell me what is missing, or where else to check
for
> >config problems? I was using Linuxconfig to make these settings. I
would
> >imagine that the fact that the 192.168.0.1 machine is Win98 is
irrelevant,
> >since all the client machines are able to access the net properly
(even the
> >Linux box, when I boot into Win98 works right). Since I can access
websites
> >with IP addresses I figure the network is at least MOSTLY configured
> >properly.

> >Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am a Linux newbie.

> >-Brandon Staggs

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Koos P » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


| On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:40:47 -1000, "Brandon Staggs"
|
| >I have been wrestling with this for hours. I must be missing something
| >simple.
| >
| >My local area network shares a cable modem with NAT. The host machine is a
| >Win98 box running Sygate for the NAT. Host machine is 192.168.0.1.
| >
| >I just installed Redhat 6.2 on a client machine. This box also runs Win98
| >and the internet settings work fine when I boot into Win98 (using LILO). I
| >simply CANT get the settings right to make Linux work on the net on this
| >machine. Everything works except for the DNS! I can access Internet websites
| >fine as long as I use IP numbers, but all domain names do not look up -- and
| >it's not a timeout either. Settings are as follows:
| >
| >IP: 192.168.0.4
| >Gateway: 192.168.0.1
| >DNS: 192.168.0.1
| >Netmask: 255.255.255.0
| >Name: marvin.blah.blah
| >host: marvin
| >
| >I even tried changing the DNS address to the ISP DNS, but it made no
| >difference.

If you can ping IP addresses, it means that the NAT/routing stuff is ok.
If you can't resolv names then in this particular case I suspect the
/etc/resolv.conf not to be in order. Can you please report back your
/etc/resolv.conf?

Koos Pol
----------------------------------------------------------------------
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Brandon Stagg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Quote:> If you can ping IP addresses, it means that the NAT/routing stuff is ok.
> If you can't resolv names then in this particular case I suspect the
> /etc/resolv.conf not to be in order. Can you please report back your
> /etc/resolv.conf?

I'm still confused, but it is working now. What I did was look up the actual
DNS that my cable provider assigns to the main computer by DHCP and just
plugged that into the linux box instead of telling it to use the .1 on my
network for DNS. I had tried this before and it didn't work, so I must have
made a typo, because everything is fine now.

-Brandon

 
 
 

Extreme DNS headaches - linux box

Post by Brandon Stagg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I am having the exact same problem, and have done the nslookup and can
> resolve addresses to IP#s.  just getting the 'ping www.abc.com' to come
> back is killing me.  immediate and perfect response to 'ping 1.2.3.4'
> though.

What finally worked for me is just putting the DNS for the ISP in there
instead of telling linux to go to the .1 on my network for DNS. Check to
make sure you put it in right -- I tried it before and must have typed it in
wrong so I thought it wouldn't work.

You can use WinIPConfig.exe on your Windows box to get your ISP's DNS
address if your DHCPed like mine is.

-Brandon