Disable bios PnP on dual-boot machine?

Post by dmorgan1REMOVET.. » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a dual-boot machine, Linux and Windows 95.For Linux purposes
I'd like to disable bios PnP. But I don't know if doing so will impact
Windows negatively. Can I get away with it?

If bios PnP plays a one-time-only role in determining resource
settings initially, I think I can. But if bios PnP is needed
dynamically every time the machine boots Windows to reconstruct the
settings, I guess it would have to stay on. I don't know how it works,
and how it affects the operation of either OS.

Disable bios PnP on dual-boot machine?

Post by James Mos » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The pnp bios lets the OS decide on resource assignments.

This means that windows can assign an IRQ and DMA to each device at bootup.
This allocation however seems to be relativly stable in that it won't change
if you don't change hardware.

To this end if you are not going to add new devices in the near future you
could write down the configuration of your system (or print out the device
manager stuff) then in windows set each device to the desired settings by
turning off automatic settings. The in your bios you can turn off pnp and
optionallly set some of the IRQ's for your PCI slots assuming you know which
ones they are.

Then Linux won't have such a hard time.

Quote:>I have a dual-boot machine, Linux and Windows 95.For Linux purposes
>I'd like to disable bios PnP. But I don't know if doing so will impact
>Windows negatively. Can I get away with it?

>If bios PnP plays a one-time-only role in determining resource
>settings initially, I think I can. But if bios PnP is needed
>dynamically every time the machine boots Windows to reconstruct the
>settings, I guess it would have to stay on. I don't know how it works,
>and how it affects the operation of either OS.

1. dual-boot causing BIOS problem?

I am dual booting Corel Linux OS v1.2 and Windows 98 SE on a Toshiba
Satellite 4015CDS laptop, using LILO.  Very recently, I changed from the
CLOS 1.0 to 1.2, and at that time I began seeing the following problems:

1) My Iomega USB Zip 100 drive is inaccessible in Win98 (and is not
accessible in Linux either, though it "should" be according to Corel).  All
drivers are present and functioning correctly (in Win98 device manager, as
pertains to the Zip drive) - but the drive just isn't there.

2) My Win98 boot-up and shutdown seems to be pausing for 30-60 seconds where
there was not a pause before, AND the 'shutdown' no longer shuts the
computer down: it 'restarts' no matter what option I select. (The physical
on/off switch is my only means of powering off in Win98, though poweroff
*does* work in CLOS where it didn't before.)

I know very little about the BIOS (how it works, what settings to adjust,
etc.) but I suspect that my problem lies there.  I have noticed that my ACPI
(power management) and USB Zip 100 share IRQ settings (11) -- which leads me
to think that this must have something to do with it (?).  Further, as CLOS
1.0 did not have "preliminary USB support", nor APM features by default, I
did not encounter any problems with a dual-boot before.  I am greatly
puzzled and wonder if anyone has some experience with this sort of problem.

Thanks,
Rudd

2. how to build linux under windows?

3. Linux disables NIC under Windows 95 on dual-boot

4. file table is full?

5. Cannot disable pnp os in BIOS

6. E3500 AP problem

7. Should be a FAQ: Disable "PnP OS" on your BIOS!

8. printcap entries for special options on HP 5SI/MX printer?

9. Any hope of getting sound to work if PNP OS cannot be disabled on the BIOS?

10. Large HD+old BIOS+boot manager+need dual boot =???????

11. Large HD+ old BIOS+ +boot manager + need dual boot =???????

12. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

13. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?