Upgrade from onboard video

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi. I have a Dell dimension P133V which has onboard video. I was hoping
to upgrade to something with about 4MB memory so I can use a 19" monitor
(at decent colour depth). I am wondering if I can add a video card and
use that instead of the onboard card I have now.

thanks,
--

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses

Upgrade from onboard video

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi. I have a Dell dimension P133V which has onboard video. I was hoping
> to upgrade to something with about 4MB memory so I can use a 19" monitor
> (at decent colour depth). I am wondering if I can add a video card and
> use that instead of the onboard card I have now.

> thanks,
> --

> http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
> Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses
> http://www.independence.seul.org/

I have an onboard SiS AGP card on my motherboard and the Linux drivers
for it stink big time, so I just put an S3 Virge card I had laying
around in one of my PCI slots and use it instead.  Works fine and didn't
have to disable my onboard card.

Don

Upgrade from onboard video

Post by andy » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I had a similar experience with a digital machine.

It seems as soon as you put in the new video card, the onboard one is
automagically disabled.  It's a bit of a "consult your manual" type thang...

You shouldn't have a prob.  If you do... well... post!!!!  :-)

cheers

AndyM

>> Hi. I have a Dell dimension P133V which has onboard video. I was hoping
>> to upgrade to something with about 4MB memory so I can use a 19" monitor
>> (at decent colour depth). I am wondering if I can add a video card and
>> use that instead of the onboard card I have now.

>> thanks,
>> --

>> http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
>> Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses
>> http://www.independence.seul.org/

>I have an onboard SiS AGP card on my motherboard and the Linux drivers
>for it stink big time, so I just put an S3 Virge card I had laying
>around in one of my PCI slots and use it instead.  Works fine and didn't
>have to disable my onboard card.

>Don

Upgrade from onboard video

Post by Der Guhvie » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi. I have a Dell dimension P133V which has onboard video. I was hoping
> to upgrade to something with about 4MB memory so I can use a 19" monitor
> (at decent colour depth). I am wondering if I can add a video card and
> use that instead of the onboard card I have now.

You should be able to. I think adding one automatically
disables the onboard one so so long as X supports your
new card, you should be okay.

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.

1. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

I have a 2+ year old NEC machine which has an on-board video
chip (Trio64V+) .. I purchased a newer 3D video card last uear, right
now the brand escapes me

When I tried last year with RedHat 5.1, linux would never recognize
the PCI card, and always saw the on-board video, I can't remember what
went wrong, but I could never get X configured properly with the card
in, so I removed it

now that I am using Mandrake 6.2, will this later version of Unix be
able to handle the PCI card better?

Bowden

2. A Question on output parsing

3. want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

4. S3 Trio64V+ PCI with 2 megs...

5. Onboard Video & AGP Video

7. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

8. Firewall for an at-home Linux desktop?

9. RH6.0, Cirrus GD5434 on-board video card problems

10. SIS onboard video and X-Win

11. Newbie - XF86Config w/SiS 5597/5598 4Mb onboard video card in Debian potato

12. Compatibility with the onboard sound, video, and networking of the MSI 845G Max

13. Onboard vs PCI video