Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Eric » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
three machines I'm trying to use:

Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
    IP address 192.168.1.1
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Firewall

NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
    IP address 192.168.2.1
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Racer

Win98 Machine
    IP address 192.168.2.2
    Workgroup Home
    Name         Scanner

I've configured the Win98 to disable master browsing, and have Samba set up
to have printers and folders shared.  I can access the Samba machine through
"Find Computers", and can access the printers and shared folders if I type
in the address directly, but I can't seem to get it to appear in the Network
Neighbourhood on either machine!

This is my log.nmb entry:
1999/08/06 15:59:03 *****   Samba name server FIREWALL is now a local master
browser for workgroup HOME on subnet 192.168.1.1 *****

I don't want to paste my entire smb.conf file here as it will suck up
bandwidth, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as
to what to do, or what parts of the conf file I should post.

I've already checked FAQ's and old newsgroup postings, but nothing seems to
be working here....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Post by Lee Shar » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

|Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
|that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
|three machines I'm trying to use:

   People just running NT get bit by this one, so don't feel bad. :-)

|Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
|    IP address 192.168.1.1
|    Workgroup Home
|    Name         Firewall
|
|NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
|    IP address 192.168.2.1
|    Workgroup Home
|    Name         Racer
|
|Win98 Machine
|    IP address 192.168.2.2
|    Workgroup Home
|    Name         Scanner

   Put WINS on the NT box, and configure Samba to hit it with WINS client.
Also point the NT box and the Win 98 box at the WINS server.  All machines
should now be listed.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

Post by Eric » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>|Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
>|that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
>|three machines I'm trying to use:

>   People just running NT get bit by this one, so don't feel bad. :-)

>|Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
>|    IP address 192.168.1.1
>|    Workgroup Home
>|    Name         Firewall
>|
>|NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
>|    IP address 192.168.2.1
>|    Workgroup Home
>|    Name         Racer
>|
>|Win98 Machine
>|    IP address 192.168.2.2
>|    Workgroup Home
>|    Name         Scanner

>   Put WINS on the NT box, and configure Samba to hit it with WINS client.
>Also point the NT box and the Win 98 box at the WINS server.  All machines
>should now be listed.

What happens if my NT machine is down then?  It also doubles as a Linux
development server box for certain applications, and I would hate for the
Samba server to disappear from Win98 whenever the NT server is in Linux.

Thanks!

Eric

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Monte Philli » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html

These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.

>Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
>that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
>three machines I'm trying to use:

>Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
>    IP address 192.168.1.1
>    Workgroup Home
>    Name         Firewall

>NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
>    IP address 192.168.2.1
>    Workgroup Home
>    Name         Racer

>Win98 Machine
>    IP address 192.168.2.2
>    Workgroup Home
>    Name         Scanner

>I've configured the Win98 to disable master browsing, and have Samba set up
>to have printers and folders shared.  I can access the Samba machine through
>"Find Computers", and can access the printers and shared folders if I type
>in the address directly, but I can't seem to get it to appear in the Network
>Neighbourhood on either machine!

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Eric » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
>for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
>http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
>and this one as well
>http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html

>These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
>networked.

*laugh*  As the expression goes - "been there, done that".  :)  I just don't
seem to be able to get it working in Net Neighbourhood.  I'll admit  that
I've modified some of the settings that they use - perhaps I should try the
exact smb.conf they use....  but in "theory" the changes I made shouldn't
make it disappear.

Am very confused....

Thanks!

Eric

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Allen Won » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Eric,

    Just a guess, but what do you have as the broadcast address on your
Samba Server.  In particular, I am referring to this:

Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
    IP address 192.168.1.1              <----

NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
    IP address 192.168.2.1              <----

If the Samba Server's broadcast address is 192.168.1.255, then the NT
Server and Win98 machine would not be alerted when "smbd" and "nmbd" is
started.  As I said earlier, just a guess.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Torsten Muelle » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Eric schrieb:

Quote:> I've configured the Win98 to disable master browsing, and have Samba set up
> to have printers and folders shared.  I can access the Samba machine through
> "Find Computers", and can access the printers and shared folders if I type
> in the address directly, but I can't seem to get it to appear in the Network
> Neighbourhood on either machine!

If you configured a network dummy interface, disable it, so samba could
anounce itself over your nic. i had the same problem.

this solution helped me under suse

torsten

Post by <h.. » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Okay - I'm getting extremely frustrated with this problem, and am hoping
> that someone has some ingenious solutions to help me out.  These are the
> three machines I'm trying to use:
> Samba Server - RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.2
>     IP address 192.168.1.1
>     Workgroup Home
>     Name         Firewall
> NT4.0 Server (NON PDC or BDC) SP3
>     IP address 192.168.2.1
>     Workgroup Home
>     Name         Racer
> Win98 Machine
>     IP address 192.168.2.2
>     Workgroup Home
>     Name         Scanner
> I've configured the Win98 to disable master browsing, and have Samba set up
> to have printers and folders shared.  I can access the Samba machine through
> "Find Computers", and can access the printers and shared folders if I type
> in the address directly, but I can't seem to get it to appear in the Network
> Neighbourhood on either machine!
> This is my log.nmb entry:
> 1999/08/06 15:59:03 *****   Samba name server FIREWALL is now a local master
> browser for workgroup HOME on subnet 192.168.1.1 *****
> I don't want to paste my entire smb.conf file here as it will suck up
> bandwidth, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as
> to what to do, or what parts of the conf file I should post.
> I've already checked FAQ's and old newsgroup postings, but nothing seems to
> be working here....
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
> Thanks!
> Eric

        Had the same problem, I re-enabled the win machine to act as the browse master (under
File and Printer sharing), and it worked fine....

Browse Master as a security precaution...

--
            ***** haze *****

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Eric » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You're absolutely correct - the server is indeed on a different subnet, and
I am assuming that's where all my problems are coming from.  How can I get
the broadcasting to work without putting them on the same subnet?

My current linux route table is:
Destination     Gateway         Genmask            Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
142.194.238.190    *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.1.0           *               255.255.255.0     U     0      0
0 eth0
192.168.1.0           *               255.255.255.0     U     0      0
0 eth0
192.168.0.0           *               255.255.0.0         U     0      0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0               *               255.0.0.0            U     0      0
0 lo
default         142.194.238.190 0.0.0.0                UG    0      0
0 ppp0

From smb.conf (testparm):
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
        remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.255
        hosts allow = 192.168.100. 192.168.1. 192.168.2.
        remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.255
        remote browse sync =

Any ideas what I can change, or add?

Thanks!

Eric

You have the samba server on a different network, if I'm reading the address
below correctly.

All your machines should be on 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x, you'll need
static routes otherwise.

Post by Tomasz Koryck » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> You have the samba server on a different network, if I'm reading the address below correctly.

> All your machines should be on 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x, you'll need static routes otherwise.

You're assuming standard netmask. If his netmask is anything up to
0xfffffd00 (or 255.255.252.0)(or /30), both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x
will be on the same subnet. That might be a solution, too.

Post by Lee Shar » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

|>   Put WINS on the NT box, and configure Samba to hit it with WINS client.
|>Also point the NT box and the Win 98 box at the WINS server.  All machines
|>should now be listed.

|What happens if my NT machine is down then?  It also doubles as a Linux
|development server box for certain applications, and I would hate for the
|Samba server to disappear from Win98 whenever the NT server is in Linux.

   There is a WINS server that comes with Samba as well.  I have not used it
in a mixed environment, so I can not judge.  You can tweak the conf to make
Samba have better chances to be the browsmaster as well, but again, I have
not used it.  The important thing is to get good NBT name resolution.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black
holes are where God divided by zero. - I am speaking as an individual, not
as a representative of any company, organization or other entity.  I am
solely responsible for my words.

Problem seeing Samba server from Network Neighbourhood......

Post by Lee Shar » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

|You're absolutely correct - the server is indeed on a different subnet, and
|I am assuming that's where all my problems are coming from.  How can I get
|the broadcasting to work without putting them on the same subnet?

   WINS.  It is what is used for name resolution over routed subnets.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black
holes are where God divided by zero. - I am speaking as an individual, not
as a representative of any company, organization or other entity.  I am
solely responsible for my words.

1. samba not seen in Network Neighborhood

A newbie with common problem.....

I can ping either machine but I cannot access or see the linux(RH 5.0)
server from
Win 95 machine (I don't know how or if I can 'see' the win 95 machine from
Linux).  I am new to Linux and Networking and I'm a bit stuck.  I get this
message when i log onto windows: "No domain server was available to
validate your password.  You may not be able to gain access to some network
resources".

smbstaus output reads:

samba       version  1.9.17p4
service    uid   gid   pid    machine

no locked files

I have not been able to set the domain up and the machine is

/etc/hosts output reads:
127.0.0.1                         localhost.localdomain
192.168.1.254                  harry.lightfoot.com *Linux box*
192.168.1.2                     mollie.lightfoot.com *win 95*

I can telnet to the IP address 192.168.1.254 but not the domain
'harry.lightfoot.com.

smbclient //harry/root -U root output reads:

added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
unknown socket option tcp_nodelay
server time 'etc'
timezone 'etc'
password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[UNIX] Server=[Samba 1.9.17p4]
security=user
smb:\>

My guess, for what it's worth, is that the Domain/DNS need(s) to be set up
somewhere.

Any ideas?

tia

darin

2. X emulator for windows 3.x

3. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

4. Plextor SCSI 8x CD-ROM drive

5. Samba Server not in Network Neighborhood

6. LInux on APTIVA ??

7. Cannot browse all samba (SMB) servers with SCOPE ID under the Network Neighborhood !?

8. Pipe to script

9. Samba server appears in network neighborhood, but the icon doesn't work!

10. my samba server doesnt show up in windows network neighborhood

11. Network Neighbourhood in Samba network?

12. Problem Seeing Samba on a different network

13. Can't browse to Samba via Network Neighbourhood