bootdisk says "LIL-" and does nothing (slak 3.6)

bootdisk says "LIL-" and does nothing (slak 3.6)

Post by Parado » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've been using linux for bout 3yrs now and have doen many installs, but
when installing Slakware 3.6 w/ the bootdisk on a buddys Asus P2BDS w/
450mhz Celeron, SB Live, 3C905B, aha7890, ATI All-in-Wonder, SCSI CDROM,
SCSI HD, and 2 IDE hd's, it would consistantly boot with only "LIL-". I
tried disconnecting all the scsi stuff, taking out all cards but video,
used both the bare.i and aic7890.s image (remade them quite a few times
on different disks and used a different floppy drive), but always
"LIL-". I've herd that all of the letters represent different points in
the boot, what exactly is going on here? Is it somthing with all the new
hardware in this system or what?

Thanks

Dave

Post by Sydney Weidma » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I've been using linux for bout 3yrs now and have doen many installs, but
> when installing Slakware 3.6 w/ the bootdisk on a buddys Asus P2BDS w/
> 450mhz Celeron, SB Live, 3C905B, aha7890, ATI All-in-Wonder, SCSI CDROM,
> SCSI HD, and 2 IDE hd's, it would consistantly boot with only "LIL-". I
> tried disconnecting all the scsi stuff, taking out all cards but video,
> used both the bare.i and aic7890.s image (remade them quite a few times
> on different disks and used a different floppy drive), but always
> "LIL-". I've herd that all of the letters represent different points in
> the boot, what exactly is going on here? Is it somthing with all the new
> hardware in this system or what?

> Thanks

> Dave

One of the solutions to that problem that I have seen posted here several
times (I cannot vouch for its effectiveness) is to run dos fdisk /mbr. I
think the lilo prompt hang can be the result of a screwed up mbr.

Hope this helps.

1. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

Hello all,
after much blood, sweat, tears and swearing I got Linux running on a
Compaq 386/20. It has 10MB RAM, about 1GB disk space and a CD-ROM.
It recently gone on the internet as an ftp resource.

Everything worked fine at first but now Telnet & ftp have become unreliable.
When they work, they work fine. However when they don't:

- FTP session
  Open <symbolic address> says:

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "Escape character is '^]'."
  "Connection closed by foreign host."

- Telnet session

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

  and drops me back to the Linux prompt.

It does this regardless of the client (DOS, Windows, Mac or Un*x).
Ping finds the box and since it sometimes works I'm a bit stuck on
what to try next. I've tried "kill -HUP <inetd PID>". The damn
thing is visible and connect-to-able...

Our campus uses nameservers and I've included four in resolv.conf.
Name resolution uses "named" nameservers first. (Order bind, host
in host.conf).

I've just tried *again* and ... then damn thing is now working!!!
I have a few ideas but don't know how to test them, they are:

- Could it be something is timing out (our network is very busy
  and slow quite often) ? How do I confirm this ?

- Could it be some connection limit (shouldn't be, it's very rare
  that more than one person are connected at once).
  Where is this info held ?

- Could it be a name resolution funny (would "host" help here ?).
  Can I test this ?

- Could it be the first Telnet request(s) fail until some
  sort of dynamic table somewhere is updated ?

- Is inetd not loading telnetd for some reason ?

I've checked that the symbolic name and IP number are correct.
The system does a reboot (via a cron script) but this is
identical to another (486) Linux box which works fine ...

I've read books, scanned FAQs etc. but don't really know
where I can sensibly look next. I don't expect answers,
just suggestions of what/where to looknext.
I apologise if this is a trivial or stupid question, I'm
an acting sysadmin with my "L" plates still on ...

Also, another query:
Where is lpd loaded at boot-time ?
Can it safely be *not* loaded to save CPU and RAM ?
(the machine doesn't have a printer attached).

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions,
   Andy.

2. 3c509 and IRQ conflicts

3. tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

4. 16bit driver for AMD Lance ethernet card?

6. Modem and sound card Crash

7. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

8. teles 16.3c PNP

10. bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. Problem with Netscape 3.6 Server with "#" URLs

13. Syntax error with "make xconfig" and Tk 3.6