SMC-ULTRA Setp in RH5.0

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

> Okay,  I've been reading and rereading ethernet-howto till my eyes
> bleed.  What am I missing?

> I have gotten as far as creating a new kernel that has the modules
> (8390.o and smc-ultra.o)
> It doesn't recognize my card.
> I've done kernel config in X and nothing happens.
> What do I add to lilo.conf or what?
> how do i get to ifconfig?

    A crucial part of the 'chain' is to ensure that it's detected on
startup. (It normally does a depmod -a on startup.  If you're not seeing
a little "hello" from Donald Becker (The Linux NetGod) then it isn't
going to work.  You'll have to drop to (ick...) DOS and run the utility
to assign a hardware address, or set the jumper to do so,  and then
enter the IRQ/IO rather than an autoprobe.

    If it's a PNP card, you'll have to deal with that issue, too, but
it's easier than it looks.

    If you need anything more, let me know; I'm running one here.

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy

SMC-ULTRA Setp in RH5.0

Post by Mark Anda » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

Okay,  I've been reading and rereading ethernet-howto till my eyes
bleed.  What am I missing?

I have gotten as far as creating a new kernel that has the modules
(8390.o and smc-ultra.o)
It doesn't recognize my card.
I've done kernel config in X and nothing happens.
What do I add to lilo.conf or what?
how do i get to ifconfig?

Just please please help.

Mark Andal

SMC-ULTRA Setp in RH5.0

Post by Mark Anda » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

> > Okay,  I've been reading and rereading ethernet-howto till my eyes
> > bleed.  What am I missing?

> > I have gotten as far as creating a new kernel that has the modules
> > (8390.o and smc-ultra.o)
> > It doesn't recognize my card.
> > I've done kernel config in X and nothing happens.
> > What do I add to lilo.conf or what?
> > how do i get to ifconfig?

>     A crucial part of the 'chain' is to ensure that it's detected on
> startup. (It normally does a depmod -a on startup.  If you're not seeing
> a little "hello" from Donald Becker (The Linux NetGod) then it isn't
> going to work.  You'll have to drop to (ick...) DOS and run the utility
> to assign a hardware address, or set the jumper to do so,  and then
> enter the IRQ/IO rather than an autoprobe.

>     If it's a PNP card, you'll have to deal with that issue, too, but
> it's easier than it looks.

>     If you need anything more, let me know; I'm running one here.

>     Brian

> Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
> Linux-head
> Evansville, IN
> ICQ:5119262
> http://dy*.net/users/kilroy

Actually,I got it on my own.
(Guess it needing reading one more time.  But I found it not in the ethernet howto
but in
under Using Linux network drivers as modules located at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Thanks to all those who replied my next step is ip=masquerading...
Mark Andal

SMC-ULTRA Setp in RH5.0

Post by Mark Anda » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

> > > Okay,  I've been reading and rereading ethernet-howto till my eyes
> > > bleed.  What am I missing?

> > > I have gotten as far as creating a new kernel that has the modules
> > > (8390.o and smc-ultra.o)
> > > It doesn't recognize my card.
> > > I've done kernel config in X and nothing happens.
> > > What do I add to lilo.conf or what?
> > > how do i get to ifconfig?

> >     A crucial part of the 'chain' is to ensure that it's detected on
> > startup. (It normally does a depmod -a on startup.  If you're not seeing
> > a little "hello" from Donald Becker (The Linux NetGod) then it isn't
> > going to work.  You'll have to drop to (ick...) DOS and run the utility
> > to assign a hardware address, or set the jumper to do so,  and then
> > enter the IRQ/IO rather than an autoprobe.

> >     If it's a PNP card, you'll have to deal with that issue, too, but
> > it's easier than it looks.

> >     If you need anything more, let me know; I'm running one here.

> >     Brian

> > Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
> > Linux-head
> > Evansville, IN
> > ICQ:5119262
> > http://dy*.net/users/kilroy

> Actually,I got it on my own.
> (Guess it needing reading one more time.  But I found it not in the ethernet howto
> but in
> under Using Linux network drivers as modules located at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Thanks to all those who replied my next step is ip=masquerading...
> Mark Andal

  My bad the url should be
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Mark Andal

1. smc-ultra network card

Hi,

I'm trying to run a smc-ultra network card, the modprobe command on
the jumper configured card (io=0x300, irq=10) works without error messages
and the modules:
smc-ultra
8390 [used by smc-ultra]
are installed. After that I mount the card using ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.3
and try a ping on another computer, but nothing happens!!!
How could that be, another network card in the same computer works
fine (using the ne module)!!!!

Thanks for help,

Bye,

Jochen Henneberg

2. kernel 2.0.x problem: need HELP

3. smc-ultra / aha-2940/ spea v7 mirage

4. changing some style elements of widgetStyle=hcstyle.la

5. Problem with smc-ultra

6. setuid and svgalib

7. modprobe smc-ultra {newbie}

8. !!!!HELP!!!! Are you very brave

9. problem with smc-ultra.o and 2.2.12

10. SMC Ultra's and SMC's EtherPowerII's TX-port

11. smc-ultra module loads but base address changes in ifconfig

12. specify smc-ultra in modules.conf

13. SMC-Ultra driver broken in 2.2.0?