cdrom won't mount

Post by Mary Walle » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have installed debian 1.3.1 on a second harddrive, win95 is on the 1st.
I have a mitsumi atapi cdrom drive as a slave on the primary ide
controller, which is hdb (hda = win95, hdc = linux). I can't get the
cdrom recognised by linux.

Some of the error messages I get are:
cdrom not mounted successfully
the kernal doesn't recognise /dev/cdrom as a block device
mcd=0x300,11:init failed.No mcd device at 0x300
post install script 'cdromsymlink'( cd/dev&&rm -f cdrom&& In -s mcd cdrom)
installation failed.

When it asks for a block device name in dselect it won't recognise
the device name as a block device (and ^C won't interupt so I have to re-boot!)
 Is this because the cdrom is a slave? What can I do?
Thanks in advance
--

Boring women have tidy kitchens!

cdrom won't mount

Post by Kent Robott » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have installed debian 1.3.1 on a second harddrive, win95 is on the 1st.
> I have a mitsumi atapi cdrom drive as a slave on the primary ide
> controller, which is hdb (hda = win95, hdc = linux). I can't get the
> cdrom recognised by linux.
> Some of the error messages I get are:
> cdrom not mounted successfully
> the kernal doesn't recognise /dev/cdrom as a block device
> mcd=0x300,11:init failed.No mcd device at 0x300
> post install script 'cdromsymlink'( cd/dev&&rm -f cdrom&& In -s mcd cdrom)
> installation failed.
> When it asks for a block device name in dselect it won't recognise
> the device name as a block device (and ^C won't interupt so I have to re-boot!)
>  Is this because the cdrom is a slave? What can I do?
> Thanks in advance
> --

> Boring women have tidy kitchens!

If it's on /dev/hdb or /dev/mcd mount it this way, create /cdrom
directory if it doesn't exist.

~# mkdir /cdrom

~# mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

~# mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/mcd /cdrom

If one of the above works the cdrom should be mounted under the
/cdrom directory.

--
ftp://wauug.erols.com/pub/people/kent-robotti/doslinux/index.html
ftp://wauug.erols.com/pub/people/kent-robotti "pppsetup-1.81.tar.gz"

PPPsetup is a bash shell script for creating a chat script
to make a ppp connection.

cdrom won't mount

Post by Tom Gravgaard Christens » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:22:28 GMT, Mary Waller

>I have installed debian 1.3.1 on a second harddrive, win95 is on the 1st.
>I have a mitsumi atapi cdrom drive as a slave on the primary ide
>controller, which is hdb (hda = win95, hdc = linux). I can't get the
>cdrom recognised by linux.

>Some of the error messages I get are:
>cdrom not mounted successfully
>the kernal doesn't recognise /dev/cdrom as a block device
>mcd=0x300,11:init failed.No mcd device at 0x300
>post install script 'cdromsymlink'( cd/dev&&rm -f cdrom&& In -s mcd cdrom)
>installation failed.

>When it asks for a block device name in dselect it won't recognise
>the device name as a block device (and ^C won't interupt so I have to re-boot!)
> Is this because the cdrom is a slave? What can I do?
>Thanks in advance

You stated you had an Atapi drive, then why did you select the Mitsumi
proprietary driver(for old style Mitsumi drives) ????
You should use the ATAPI/IDE cdrom driver.
--
Tom G. Christensen, Denmark
tom dot christensen at get2net dot dk

1. CDROM won't mount or boot, dumbo rem_drv'd obio!!!

Hello :-)

OK, you may think I'm stupid but PLEASE HELP!

My CDROM would not mount, I got a device does not exist error on
/dev/sr0 and all /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s? even though they do exist.
probe-scsi from the ok prompt works fine and finds the CDROM
but only after a power off. After the system has been booted
and shut down, probe-scsi goes through the access lights on
the various drives and then locks the machine.

I seemed to remember a message saying that I wouldn't be able
to mount my CDROM till I did ??? when I installed the drivers
for my microphone and openwin audio stuff.  I did this from
the answerbook documentation which is all on CD and now I
obviously can't access it.  I removed the audio and dbri drivers
but this didn't help.

Anyway, one thing led to another and I somehow ended up
rem_drv'ing my obio driver after working out that the CDROM
became unreachable with probe-scsi sometime around where this
driver is started.  This has rendered my system
unbootable.  boot cdrom locks the system and boot -install
doesn't even look at the CDROM.

I am running Solaris 2.1 on a SPARK LX, any help or advice
apart from "shoot yourself" and "stay away from the root account"
would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Neil   \)|(/ Work: White Horse IT Ltd.
Wilson |   |       Stanley House
      [ 0 0 ]      65 Victoria Road      Phone: (44) (0)1793 618566
       | V |       SWINDON                 Fax: (44) (0)1793 488428
        \o/        Wiltshire  SN1 3BB

2. linux ftp, ncftp etc

3. Newbie - File System Manager won't mount cdrom/floppy

4. Capture Child PID

5. PAS16 Cdrom won't read or mount

6. CPU Incorrect in /proc/cpuinfo. Please help! I'm desperate!

7. cdrom won't mount

8. fcntl() question: multiple locks?

9. CDROM won't mount

10. sol 2.5 x86 won't mount cdrom or floppy

11. Cdrom won't mount

12. CDROM mounts but won't work properly

13. CDROM won't mount