Red Hat 5.0 to boot from NT O/S Loader

Post by Esquive » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Have NT Workstation 4.0 dual boot Win95 & NT. Now have added Red Hat to
/dev/hdb with LILO written to the root partition sector of /dev/hdb. What
statement do I add to c:\boot.ini to get LILO to start linux?

Post by Brian Rolf » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Have NT Workstation 4.0 dual boot Win95 & NT. Now have added Red Hat to
> /dev/hdb with LILO written to the root partition sector of /dev/hdb. What
> statement do I add to c:\boot.ini to get LILO to start linux?

You need to make a file in linux that points to where your Linux drive
is.

Check out
http://www.cutecute.ml.org/docs/ldp/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html#toc4

If you want to do it the easy way, get a program called Bootpart
at     http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm
This program will create the bootsector file and add the appropriate
line to your boot.ini file.
I have used this program before and it is quite easy.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Post by Edward Stas » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Have NT Workstation 4.0 dual boot Win95 & NT. Now have added Red Hat to
>/dev/hdb with LILO written to the root partition sector of /dev/hdb. What
>statement do I add to c:\boot.ini to get LILO to start linux?

You can CREATE one. Write a shell script and make it executible.

I have lilo installed on the partition that I have Linux installed on.
In my case, this "/dev/hda3". I mount my DOS/NT partition as "/dosc".

Within "/etc/lilo.conf" I have the line:

        boot=/dev/hda3

Here's something that I call "/usr/local/bin/newlilo"
that I execute within Linux:

        lilo
        dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dosc/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

I also had to add a line to the NT file "c:\boot.ini" that will
gives the boot options when I boot up the Microsoft OS':

        c:\bootsect.lin="LILO (Linux)"

The only changes you need to customize this for yourself depends
on which partition record you will install lilo on and which
subdirectory you mount your DOS/NT "drive C:".

Anytime you make any changes such as recompiling the kernel,
DO NOT EXECUTE "lilo" ONLY. Make this shell script "newlilo"
executible by using the command as root:

        chmod u+x /usr/local/bin/newlilo

After that you can update everything properly by using this
new command "newlilo" (as root ofcourse).

Edward