HELP - INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up.

HELP - INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up.

Post by Thomas Beardshea » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Linux won't start.

I get the message "INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up" when I
boot the system.

I'm using Redhat 4.2. I created Slackware boot disks but when I try to
mount the partition (or use fdisk) I get the message "Can access
/dev/sda" (it's a SCSI 2940)

I created Redhat rescue disks but it doesn't even recognize /dev/sda.

I tried running "e2fsck /dev/sda1 -t ext2" but I get a bad superblock
error and a suggestion to use an alternate superblock (which results in
the same error message).

The last thing I added was an entry in inittab for a modem (per modem
instructions)
S1:456:/bin/uugetty ...

and did an init q.
Nothing appeared to happen so I tried to restart the system (which
stated it was going down, but never did).

Does anyone know how to boot the system and go into single user mode?
I tried 'linux single' at the boot prompt but it gave me the same
results.

I can't boot linux.
When I boot from floppies, I can't mount the linux partion.

Someone please shoot me.

HELP - INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up.

Post by Thomas Beardshea » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

UPDATE - I just created the PROPER boot disks (SCSINET) for slackware.
(I have used net.i for years and recently installed SCSI so I confused
myself.) I can now boot from floppies, mount the partition (I had to
fsck it first) and edit inittab (disabled my entry) but it still won't
boot. A few news items referred to memory problems so I'll check there.
But anyone have any other suggestions?

> Linux won't start.

> I get the message "INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up" when I
> boot the system.

> I'm using Redhat 4.2. I created Slackware boot disks but when I try to
> mount the partition (or use fdisk) I get the message "Can access
> /dev/sda" (it's a SCSI 2940)

> I created Redhat rescue disks but it doesn't even recognize /dev/sda.

> I tried running "e2fsck /dev/sda1 -t ext2" but I get a bad superblock
> error and a suggestion to use an alternate superblock (which results in
> the same error message).

> The last thing I added was an entry in inittab for a modem (per modem
> instructions)
> S1:456:/bin/uugetty ...

> and did an init q.
> Nothing appeared to happen so I tried to restart the system (which
> stated it was going down, but never did).

> Does anyone know how to boot the system and go into single user mode?
> I tried 'linux single' at the boot prompt but it gave me the same
> results.

> I can't boot linux.
> When I boot from floppies, I can't mount the linux partion.

> Someone please shoot me.

1. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

I've been running Red Hat Linux 4.1 for several months now on my home
machine (AMD K6/233 w/48MB of Ram) without any problems.  Two days ago
we had a power blackout while I was in the middle of compile a new
kernel (ver 2.1.66).  Since then, linux dies during the boot process,
right after probing and properly identifying my hardware, including all
the hard disk partitions.  It prints the above error message (see the
subject line) and locks up solid.  The only way out is a hard reset.
Does anyone have any idea how to get aroud this.  I tried booting from
the boot floppy in 'rescue' mode to run fsck on my linux partitions.  It
found and corrected some problems.  Now all the partitions are 'clean'
but the system still dies at exactly the same point.  It will boot in
emergency mode (by typing 'linux emergency' at the lilo boot prompt) and
I'm able to look at both linux partitions (/root and /usr) and on the
surface they look just fine.  But, of course, in emergency mode, the
system's functionality is severely limited.  I'm starting to feel linux
withdrawal symptoms ;-) HELP!!!

--Max

2. Compiled Kernel Problems (2.2.12-20)

3. sound blaster pci(64awe)

4. HELP : Cyrix + ASUS HX + serial

5. mkpv and mkraid give Segmentation fault... HELP!

6. Sun DDS Tape Drive

7. Segmentation fault with init (sysVinit)

8. Slackware give me segmentation fault when running tex/latex

9. iostat -n gives segmentation fault

10. SSLeay: genrsa gives segmentation fault

11. Trying to run setup gives Segmentation Fault