Files larger than 2Gb

Post by Alberto Pires de Oliveira Net » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

  I need to use files over 2 Gb, but it seems not work with ext2.
What if I use 64 bits CPU ?

Thanks
--
+-------------------------------+
|Alberto Pires de Oliveira Neto |

+-------------------------------+

1. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

We have a Solaris 2.6 NFS server, and some AIX 4.2 clients. The problem
is that we cannot write files to NFS-mounted filesystems larger than
2GB. Here is an excerpt from an email I got on the subject by one of
our programmers:

   I ran several tests yesterday trying to write a file over 2 GB from
   an SP2 system running AIX 4.2 to an NFS mounted disk on a Solaris
   2.6 server.  (I used a stand alone utility to do this to make life
   simpler.) The tests failed.  I opened the file using the following
   code segment

      ofd = open(fid_out, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_LARGEFILE, 0777);

   and I used llseek() to set the file offset and write() to write as
   follows:

      llseek(ofd, soff, SEEK_SET);
      write(ofd, buf, bsz);

   I am not sure what to tell you.  I have used the same program to
   write files over 2GB from an AIX client to an AIX server using NFS;
   I have done the same from solaris client to solaris server using NFS
   (except that I did NOT use the O_LARGEFILE flag).  This is a
   question for the folks at IBM (I will pass this along to them as
   well).  I just spoke to one of our IBM representives and he
   suggested the possibility that AIX goes into a conservative mode of
   operation (i.e., using only the lowest common denominator so as to
   be safe) when it tries to talk to a non-AIX NFS server.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem (and possible
solution or workaround) might be?

Thanks in advance. Email cc's appreciated.

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

2. ping and broadcasting

3. Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

4. installing Solaris 2.5 on Dell Dimension XPS Pro200 with ViRGE 3D video card

5. help! taring files larger than 2GB!

6. Installing X on a Compaq Presario 2110

7. Files larger than 2GB (Was Re: ftell/fseek vs. fsetpos/fgetpos)

8. Soft/Hard mounts

9. large files (larger than 2GB)?

10. Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

11. file larger than 2GB

12. What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

13. Need to create a partition larger than 2GB