X windows set up 'is this OK screen' not ok

X windows set up 'is this OK screen' not ok

Post by Dan Jacobso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unimpressed with Mandrake 7.0 install script: when it gets to the testing
X windows screen occupation area, there is a big white square covering
most of the screen with an "is this OK?" box with a time out.  Fundamental
flaw:  lets say the box exceeds the screen edges, this would look the same
as an exact match with the screen edges... therefore there needs to be a
scale bar added so one can see if indeed they are at 0 -----50----- 0
[correct], or at 33 ----- 50 ------33 etc. or various other*ups, use
your imagination to implement.  Scale bar should be two: vert. & horiz..

And, OK, it wasn't OK, it was slightly shifted to the left of center and
there was a 1/2 inch of wasted blackness around the edges [or is that the
new aesthetic style?]... but the script doesn't have any easy adjustment
buttons.
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni  ... fix e-mail address to reply; ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

Post by moonie; » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Unimpressed with Mandrake 7.0 install script: when it gets to the testing
>X windows screen occupation area, there is a big white square covering
>most of the screen with an "is this OK?" box with a time out.  Fundamental
>flaw:  lets say the box exceeds the screen edges, this would look the same
>as an exact match with the screen edges... therefore there needs to be a
>scale bar added so one can see if indeed they are at 0 -----50----- 0
>[correct], or at 33 ----- 50 ------33 etc. or various other*ups, use
>your imagination to implement.  Scale bar should be two: vert. & horiz..

>And, OK, it wasn't OK, it was slightly shifted to the left of center and
>there was a 1/2 inch of wasted blackness around the edges [or is that the
>new aesthetic style?]... but the script doesn't have any easy adjustment
>buttons.

You have to adjust this with your monitor, just as you would in windows after
changing refresh rate.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   http://www.veryComputer.com/

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

X windows set up 'is this OK screen' not ok

Post by Steve Bradle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I might be waaay off base with this, but I thought that screen was just to
show you the monitor and vidcard running at that resolution.  Presumably,
if the resolution settings you chose were unsupported (most likely by your
monitor, but maybe also your card) you'd get shit on the screen instead of
that little OK box.  If you don't reply in the timeout period, it assumes
it was bad (that you probably couldn't read the screen) and reverts back
to it's original settings.  Windows does the same thing when you are
trying a new resolution out for the first time, that way you don't get
stuck with your OS set into a resolution that you can't view on your
monitor and no way to get back into the GUI to fix it.
.
Of course, this isn't a problem with Linux since you can always init3 and
fix it by hand...
.
As for the SIZE and PLACEMENT of the screen - those adjustments are best
made on the monitor itself (my video card supports making them via
software, but it doesn't work well...)

Steve

Post by Mary » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Unimpressed with Mandrake 7.0 install script: when it gets to the testing
> X windows screen occupation area (snip) ... there needs to be a
> scale bar added so one can see if indeed they are at 0 -----50----- 0
> [correct], or at 33 ----- 50 ------33 etc. (snip )... Scale bar should

be two: vert. & horiz..

This is no help with your immediate problem, but you might prefer SuSE's X
configuration thing. It has a nifty part called SaX with an adjustment
utility much as you describe. When I used it, it was really the first time
in three installs that I got my screen configured exactly the way it
should be in X.

border around the edge of the screen when I was finished, but everything
inside that area seemed perfect and the edges of the various windows and
boxes were not cropped away, a major improvement over past installs. The
centering of the image on the screen can be fine tuned with your monitor
knobs.

MP

Post by Uncle Feste » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:30:16

> >And, OK, it wasn't OK, it was slightly shifted to the left of center and
> >there was a 1/2 inch of wasted blackness around the edges [or is that the
> >new aesthetic style?]... but the script doesn't have any easy adjustment
> >buttons.

> You have to adjust this with your monitor, just as you would in windows after
> changing refresh rate.

Or use xvidtune.

--
Chuck Kandler

Windows--computing for the Unwashed Masses

Registered Linux User #180746
http://counter.li.org

X windows set up 'is this OK screen' not ok

Post by Dan Jacobso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I might be waaay off base with this, but I thought that screen was just
> show you the monitor and vidcard running at that resolution.
Presumably,
> if the resolution settings you chose were unsupported (most likely by
your
> monitor, but maybe also your card) you'd get shit on the screen instead
of
> that little OK box.  If you don't reply in the timeout period, it
assumes
> it was bad (that you probably couldn't read the screen) and reverts back
> to it's original settings.  Windows does the same thing when you are

I thought it then assumes it was OK and accepts the new settings ... its
next beheaviour thus needs to be stated on the previous screen.

Quote:> trying a new resolution out for the first time, that way you don't get
> stuck with your OS set into a resolution that you can't view on your
> monitor and no way to get back into the GUI to fix it.
> .
> Of course, this isn't a problem with Linux since you can always init3
and
> fix it by hand...
> .
> As for the SIZE and PLACEMENT of the screen - those adjustments are best
> made on the monitor itself (my video card supports making them via
> software, but it doesn't work well...)

Hmmm, the windows screen comes up perfectly fit, but the Linux screen
comes up a tad small and a tad off center... if I say, center the linux
screeen, will the windows screen be then off center to the opposite
direction  on the next reboot?

> > Unimpressed with Mandrake 7.0 install script: when it gets to the
> > testing X windows screen occupation area, there is a big white square
> > covering most of the screen with an "is this OK?" box with a time out.
> > Fundamental flaw:  lets say the box exceeds the screen edges, this
would
> > look the same as an exact match with the screen edges... therefore
there
> > needs to be a scale bar added so one can see if indeed they are at 0
> > -----50----- 0
> > [correct], or at 33 ----- 50 ------33 etc. or various other*ups,
> > use your imagination to implement.  Scale bar should be two: vert. &
> > horiz..

> > And, OK, it wasn't OK, it was slightly shifted to the left of center
and
> > there was a 1/2 inch of wasted blackness around the edges [or is that
> > the new aesthetic style?]... but the script doesn't have any easy
> > adjustment buttons.
> > --
> > www.geocities.com/jidanni  ... fix e-mail address to reply; ?n|
> > Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

1. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

I am trying to setup Postscript support for printing with lpr on a Laserjet 4L.
I have modified printcap and written a filter using ghostscript, but not
success.  Can somebody help?  Here is my setup:
printcap:       lpps|hpljet3:\
                        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
                        :sd=/usr/spool/lp1:\
                        :sh:\
                        :sf:\
                        :mx#0:\
                        :of=/usr/spool/lp1/hpps:
hpps:           gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sOutputFile=- -

When I use "cat file.ps | hpps | lpr" (with my text-only lp setup) it works ok,
but when I try to use "lpr -Plpps file.ps" I get "Ghostscript: Unrecoverable
error, exit code 1".  Any ideas?

bruno

2. TCP/IP Configuration

3. dns update from dhcp server ok for windows clients, not ok for linux (dhclient) clients

4. ZyXEL 1.3 uploaded

5. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

6. Double panics on Compaq PII machines (OS 5.04)

7. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

8. USB Questions

9. OK, Why can I 'make' from X, but not non-x shell

10. KDE and QT: OK, I'll bite, whats it take to 'cleanroom' software?

11. Can't get past 'Expecting OK' - Kppp

12. OK OK So X-window looks like great thing until you try to use it.

13. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!