Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Post by Clar » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:16:12

Dear gentlemen,

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop, and I have tried to dualboot Windows
xp and Linux on it. I first installed Windows xp, then Linux. But the
problem is that the X-window system does not work when I boot the
machine to Linux after installation. I installed Redhat Linux 7.1. So
I wonder if you might give me some suggestions with respect to this
problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hongwei

Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:38:14

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:16:12 -0500, Clark staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> Dear gentlemen,

Greetings are superfluous on Usenet, the "Yo, dudes," is assumed.  Also
remember that there are some ladies who read Usenet too....

Quote:> I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop, the problem is that the X-window
> system does not work when I boot the machine to Linux after
> installation. I installed Redhat Linux 7.1.

According to a quick Google for "linux inspiron 2650", this thing has a
Geforce2Go video chip.  Redhat 7.1 was released *before* the Geforce2Go
chipsets came out, so it doesn't have support for said chipsets.  You
can upgrade your XFree86 packages, or you can install a more recent
version of Redhat, or you can try using the evil binary-only nVidia
kernel module and X server.

Here's a page detailing someone's experiences with Redhat 7.3 and an
Inspiron 2650:
http://www.cleanstick.org/grove/?title=linux%20on%20laptop .  Ohio State
definitely has a local Redhat mirror and a LUG, go to the Engineering or
CS departments and ask around, you'll probably find someone who'll burn
you a Redhat 7.3 CD pretty quickly.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by mjt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:48:52

> Dear gentlemen,

... hmmmm. did you forget the ladies?  :)

Quote:> I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop, and I have tried to dualboot Windows
> xp and Linux on it. I first installed Windows xp, then Linux. But the
> problem is that the X-window system does not work when I boot the
> machine to Linux after installation. I installed Redhat Linux 7.1. So
> I wonder if you might give me some suggestions with respect to this
> problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

you've provided us with ZERO details about your h/w configuration.
also, when you say 'x-window system does not work' tells us nothing
about what YOU'VE tried or the current state. does that mean you
are only currently booting to runlevel 3? are you wanting to boot
to runlevel 5? have you tried 'startx' and it fails? maybe you should
visit http://www.linux-laptop.net/ and see what other are doing.

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result

Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:00:17

Quote:> Dear gentlemen,

> I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop, and I have tried to dualboot Windows
> xp and Linux on it. I first installed Windows xp, then Linux. But the
> problem is that the X-window system does not work when I boot the
> machine to Linux after installation. I installed Redhat Linux 7.1. So
> I wonder if you might give me some suggestions with respect to this
> problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

First, update to 7.3. This will get you XFree86 4.2.0, which has a lot more
laptop support.

Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Post by Hongwei Zhan » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:21:01

When I try to boot to Linux, the system first tries to boot to runlevel 5,
but it fails. Then I retreats back to runlevel 3 automatically. I have not
tried 'startx' yet.

Hongwei

> you've provided us with ZERO details about your h/w configuration.
> also, when you say 'x-window system does not work' tells us nothing
> about what YOU'VE tried or the current state. does that mean you
> are only currently booting to runlevel 3? are you wanting to boot
> to runlevel 5? have you tried 'startx' and it fails? maybe you should
> visit http://www.linux-laptop.net/ and see what other are doing.

> --
> -------------------------------------------+---------------------------
>  Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result
>  skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     |   when God divides the
>  "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              |     universe by zero

Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:32:16

Quote:> When I try to boot to Linux, the system first tries to boot to runlevel 5,
> but it fails. Then I retreats back to runlevel 3 automatically. I have not
> tried 'startx' yet.

> Hongwei

OK, stay at run level 3. Do *all* the updates for your particular OS
version, XFree86 keeps getting updates for new hardware. Back up the files
in /etc/X11, and run Xconfigurator. This should help you test out and select
an X windows configuration to match your available hardware.

1. Problem with dualbooting Windows XP and Redhat Linux 8.0 ?

Dear folks,

I am trying to dualboot Windows XP and Redhat Linux 8.0 on a Dell
Inspiron 2650 laptop. But I have met a problems as follows:

     Windows XP came with the laptop when I bought it. After
     re-partitioned the hard-disk, I installed Linux 8.0. The
     installation finished successfully, but the machine was unable
     to boot up after the installation unless I use the bootup disk
     for Linux 8.0. However, I found myself unable to boot up to
     Windows any more if I have to the boot up disk for Linux.

The hard drive in the laptop is 20GB, and I partitioned it as follows:

        * Partition 1:  31 MB (this default partition came with the
          machine, and it is used for Dell utilities. Therefore, I
          did not dare to change it)
        * Partition 2:  5 GB (for Windows XP)
        * Partition 3:  120 MB (for Linux /boot)
        * Partition 4:  3.5 GB (for Linux /root)
        * Partition 5:  5 GB (for linux /home)
        * Partition 6:  512 MB (for Linux SWAP)
        * Partition 7:  2.5 GB (for Windows XP)

While configuring the boot loader, I tried both GRUB and LILO at
different times, and installed the boot loader to the first sector of
the boot partition. So I wonder where I might have gone wrong? And which
boot loader is better, GRUB or LILO?

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Hongwei

2. Y2K and 5.0.0

4. linux on performa 6230CD

5. Why does RedHat Linux 4 X-Windows try to look like Windows 95

6. ELF ld can't find -ltermcap

7. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

8. Want to make new RH7.2 based Kernel

9. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

10. Dualboot FreeBSD 4.5 and Windows XP

11. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

12. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

13. Problem installing Matrox Mil 4Mb on X-Windows (Linux Redhat 4)