Problems installing Linux on IBM Thinkpad 360CSe

Problems installing Linux on IBM Thinkpad 360CSe

Post by Robert Abo » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to install Linux on my Thinkpad and I am having the following
problems:

I make the boot diskettes from a CD-ROM using kernal rev 1.2.1 bare and
color144 file images and the following happens:

This is what Linux displays:

garbage removed to the boot prompt:

boot:

I enter ramdisk hd=914,15,49  ; this is required for Thinkpad HDs (340 size)

The next prompt is this:

VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER

I press ENTER                 ; whats a ramdisk floppy?

Linux responds back:

VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/28
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

I insert the color144 floppy and press ENTER.

Linux responds:

VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/28
Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c

With the exception of thelast two digits of the 02:xx message I get the exact
same results if I use kernal 1.3, bare, scsi, net, scsinet, and root files
color144 and tty144.  I have even replaced diskettes.

Ignoring the hard drive and trying to boot just mounting the floppy drive
resultes in the same error message.

Any ideas what is causing the problems?

-----

Robert Aboud
Member Team OS/2 since 1991
OS/2 BESTeam
OS/2 Champion

1. Installing FreeBSD on an IBM ThinkPad 360CSE (Need help)

I have an IBM ThinkPad 360CSE and I was trying to do a net install of
the PAO version of FreeBSD (http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO/) but when I
boot from the boot disk, hit enter at the boot: prompt, go into visual
config mode, take out the conflics, and let it boot, as soon as the
dialog script starts, my keyboard freaks out for some reason.  Only
about 3 keys actually get some kind of response, and the response
every time is popping up the dialog asking me if I want to quit.  Is
there some extra step I'm missing or something?

Please help,
Paul Schmidt

2. SSRT3483 Potential Security Vulnerability in wall(1M) command

3. Linux on IBM Thinkpad 360CSE

4. tcsh pattern matching questions

5. Redhat 6.0 on an IBM thinkpad 360CSE?

6. Help with Shutdown

7. Can't run XFree86 on IBM Thinkpad 360CSE.....Help!

8. Swap!

9. IBM SCSI/IBM ThinkPad install problem in Slackware 2.2

10. Q: Installing OSR5 on a Thinkpad 360CSE

11. Urgent: Problem when install Linux on IBM Thinkpad 755C

12. XFree86 on ThinkPad 360CSE

13. X on ThinkPad 360CSE? (WD90c24a)?