reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

Post by John W Ha » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I have been using Linux, RedHat 5.1 (2.0.34) for quite sometime already.
>> I like it so much that I would like to use it daily except one problem.
>> My mail server is running Microsoft Exchange. Currently, I am running
>> Microsoft Outlook98 in Win95 to connect to my Exchange server. The
>> hesitation for me to move to Linux is because I could not read my email
>> from Linux.

If your Exchange server is running V 5.5, it can do POP3 and
IMAP/LDAP with a couple of checkbox clicks.
That would allow you many more mail client options.

--

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (Arthur C. Clarke)

reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

Post by Jonathan Ng » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >> I have been using Linux, RedHat 5.1 (2.0.34) for quite sometime already.
> >> I like it so much that I would like to use it daily except one problem.
> >> My mail server is running Microsoft Exchange. Currently, I am running
> >> Microsoft Outlook98 in Win95 to connect to my Exchange server. The
> >> hesitation for me to move to Linux is because I could not read my email
> >> from Linux.

> If your Exchange server is running V 5.5, it can do POP3 and
> IMAP/LDAP with a couple of checkbox clicks.
> That would allow you many more mail client options.

> --

> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (Arthur C. Clarke)

Hi John,

Unfortunately, the settings on the Exchange server side is beyond my control. My pleas is in
vain. Any other ways?

Thanks.

Jonathan Ngu

Post by Michael S. Brigg » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > Dear all,

> > I appreciate for all the people who take time to solve problems. Thank
> > you.

> > I have been using Linux, RedHat 5.1 (2.0.34) for quite sometime already.
> > I like it so much that I would like to use it daily except one problem.
> > My mail server is running Microsoft Exchange. Currently, I am running
> > Microsoft Outlook98 in Win95 to connect to my Exchange server. The
> > hesitation for me to move to Linux is because I could not read my email
> > from Linux.

> > I have heard a lot about WINE. My question: Is it possible to run
> > Exchange clients like Exchange4, Outlook97 or Outlook98 in WINE to
> > connect to my server to check emails? If so, how do I do it? I thought
> > WINE emulates Win3.11 instead of Win95?

> > Even if I have WINE and Outlook98 installed, is it possible for me to
> > use Dial-Up networking (win95) or any utilities to dial into my RAS
> > server which is running in NT? If it is connected, would I be able to
> > connect to the internet using my Netscape Communicator in Linux or do I
> > have to stick with WINE for internet access?

> > Currently I am connecting to the internet using Linux to a local ISP,
> > Unix platform. However, to check my email, I need to dial in to my RAS
> > server in office using Win95 cause Linux can't dial in to my RAS server
> > running WinNT.

My understanding is that WINE isn't yet far enough developed to support
complicated programs like outlook.

The good news is that you can access the MS RAS server and MS Exchange email
server directly using Linux and Linux-based software.      Previous messages
and some documentation at the Linux Documentation Project discuss using PPP
to connect to an RAS server.     They have warnings about changes needed
because MS RAS uses an unusual password encryption protocol under the CHAP
approach.    Perhaps this documentation is out of date--I didn't have to do
anything special with PPP to connect to a RAS server.

But even if you can't dial the RAS server, you should still be able to
remotely access you email via your ISP.    The Microsoft Exchange Server uses
the IMAP protocol , so any email program that can commicate with a mail
server via the IMAP protocol should be able to access the Exchange Server.
I have been using the program XFMail ver 1.3 by Gennady Sorokopud with
success.  It can be downloaded from the web. You need to enter the name of
the Exchange server and your account name on it.   This is the only problem
I had.    In the Microsoft email programs the account name is entered as
domain\username/mailboxname.     What is actually sent to the server is
domain/username/mailboxname!     On Microsofts online support web page there
is an article about telnetting to an Exchange server to test the server.
This shows that the forward-slashes are what the server expects.    The email
clients must translate the backslash .   Why?    In XFMail enter the account
using forward slashes.

--Michael

1. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

[...]

2. Warning: Interrupt level 9 not serviced

3. Is there an application allow us to read MS Exchange mails in Linux ?

4. slow file transfer rates, please help

5. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

6. Large Hard Disks

7. Mail attachments - character set mismatch when reading in MS Exchange

8. Unable to boot.. please help

9. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

10. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

11. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

12. Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

13. Linux POP mail and MS Exchange integration