Another SB-16 problem << MOUNT POINT \cdrom DOES NOT EXIST >>

Another SB-16 problem << MOUNT POINT \cdrom DOES NOT EXIST >>

Post by WILLIAM PET » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a strange problem...I just bought RH 2.1 (the 1.2.13 kernel),
installed the software, and everything went pretty smoothly, X-windows,
(the mouse was not installed correctly though, but I fixed that), etc.

The SB-16 CD-ROM (an old one, about two years old) was found by the
kernel at 0x230, and that is one of the reasons I could install the
kernel from the CD....

I followed everything in the CDROM-HOWTO, bought two books on Linux
installation, and yet when I went to mount the CD-ROM with

"mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /cdrom"

the lights on the CD-ROM flashed, the CD-ROM changer doors closed,
the CD was being read, and just after 3 seconds, the CD-ROM spits
out the CD (it doesn't matter what the CD is, Slackware, RH 2.1,
anything!) and says:

"mount point \cdrom does not exist"

Now, I even went into sbpcd.h and changed some configuration
parameters and recompiled the kernel, and it still doesn't work.
So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Bob Hau » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>"mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /cdrom"

>the lights on the CD-ROM flashed, the CD-ROM changer doors closed,
>the CD was being read, and just after 3 seconds, the CD-ROM spits
>out the CD (it doesn't matter what the CD is, Slackware, RH 2.1,
>anything!) and says:

>"mount point \cdrom does not exist"

The directory you are mounting to must exist before you do the mount
command.  Do "mkdir /cdrom", then try the mount.

Also, the '-r' switch is redundant for a CD.

---
 Bob Hauck                              Wasatch Communcations Group