Module problems after upgrading RH 5.0 kernel

Module problems after upgrading RH 5.0 kernel

Post by Dave Swege » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Last night I decided to upgrade my RH 5.0 kernel to 2.0.35, so after
first trying to patch the kernel unsucessfully, I decided to get the
whole kernel tree off ftp.kernel.org (I decided against the kernel
update RPM cause I don't want to download ~9 meg every time I want to
update the kernel). Installed and compiled it no problem. However, upon
rebooting modprobe complained that it couln't find sound.o and a couple
of net modules, despite them being in the correct directory. From what
I've gathered RH uses a modified version of the sound driver, but how do
I in effect switch over to the standard kernel? Any help much
appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave

Post by Sim.. » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Last night I decided to upgrade my RH 5.0 kernel to 2.0.35, so after
>first trying to patch the kernel unsucessfully, I decided to get the
>whole kernel tree off ftp.kernel.org (I decided against the kernel
>update RPM cause I don't want to download ~9 meg every time I want to
>update the kernel). Installed and compiled it no problem. However, upon
>rebooting modprobe complained that it couln't find sound.o and a couple
>of net modules, despite them being in the correct directory. From what
>I've gathered RH uses a modified version of the sound driver, but how do
>I in effect switch over to the standard kernel? Any help much
>appreciated.

did you do a depmod -a
I've found upon rebooting I get this sort of problem, but it is completely
resolved when the above commend is executed. I thought the ommand was
supposed to be run at boot-time, but if you make sure you've done the
depmod, you should be OK.

--------------
Simeon W Farrington

1. upgrading RH 5.0 to 5.1 --> iso9660 cdrom not recognised by kernel????

        Hi All,

I "upgraded" Redhat 5.0 to RH5.1 from CDROM-drive.
After rebooting I cannot mount the same CDrom  again. Mount complains:

        iso9660 not supported by kernel???

Please tell me if you know how to fix this?!
(OR AT least could somebody please telle me how I could "downgrade"
back to RH5.0, which worked fine :-)

I appreaciate any help,

-----------
Esa Tiiliharju

2. Installing Unix Shell over XP

3. War Stories Wanted: RH 5.0 -> RH 6.0 upgrade

4. Need Tape Mount/Request software

5. Problems with RH 5.0 upgrade to 5.2 - and now boot hangs

6. Dynamic Probes port to s/390

7. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

8. Q: AHA2940 (bios 1.23) and ASUS SP3 crashes - any advice?

9. socket error problem after upgrading from RH 4.2 -> 5.0

10. Kernel upgrade: make modules -> nothing to do for 'modules' and complains afterwards ?

11. Problems building a new kernel in RH 5.0

12. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

13. command not found after RH 7.2 kernel upgrade via "Upgrade Agent"