Permissions conundrum

Post by Guyot » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

    Hello,

    Okay here is the situation: I have everything working well as root,
but the system is not allowing some services from within my account that
I created for myself; I have no sound for one. I have added my
account/username to group "users" GID 100, and to "nobody" GID 99. I
have perused the PAM readme's and online HTML documentation of same. I
have also changed all my user programs and config files in my /home
directory to user-owned.  How can I allow my own user account all of the
services I have as root, but keep enough security on the system to keep
the majority of pranksters from accessing my system from the Internet?

Below are system particulars:

RetHat Linux 5.0
kernel 2.0.32
xfree86 (updated) with Permedia 2 drivers from XSuSE
LAN : This computer connected to a second computer via ethernet cards
and a 4-port hub
PPP modem connection to the Internet from the Linux box

Thanks,
Guyote

[...]

1. ODT3.0 /u conundrum

Greetings !

Thanks to many for all the previous help.

Backing up with lone-tar [recommended] so that I could enlarge my /u
division, I've reinstalled /root apparently with success after using
divvy to adjust division sizes, including increasing /u to 2Gig.
However......

If I...
        df
I see..
        /       (/dev/root ):   141646 blocks  54128 i-nodes
and if I...
        mount /dev/u /u

and, when I now df, I see......
        /       (/dev/root ):   141568 blocks  54120 i-nodes
        /u      (/dev/u    ):  3991320 blocks  65486 i-nodes

But if I ......
        cd /u   or    cd u
I get....
        Not a directory

Also, lone-tar won't restore.

I need to restore my tape backup to /u and have scoured sco.com/ta/ with
no improvement in understanding.

What's wrong and how do I repair ?

Gratefully,

--
Majority, n.:
        That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law.

2. Linux Distribution Recommendations

3. Conundrum

4. Remote X sessions

5. Boot conundrum

6. Restore Session

7. korn shell recursive conundrum

8. strange tail -f problem...

9. Star Office Font Conundrum

10. Iptables/Kernel Compile Conundrums

11. cdrom-scsi/XP-woody on hdb dual boot/lilo conundrum

12. Mediaone and the DHCP conundrum...

13. A simple and interesting conundrum