rehat install from dos partition?

Post by Sid Lipk » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

just grabbd redhat from an ftp site   was wondering if it can be installed from a dos partition like slack  or i must use the floppy install?
thanks   sid lipkin
I Dont Trust Any Operating System That Does Not Include
Source Code...

1. Installing ReHat 4.1 from DOS Hard-disk ?

I have downloaded the RedHat Linux 4.1 onto a PC running NT 4
workstation.  From there I want to install Linux onto a second PC.
This second PC has two hard drives the c: is a dos drive and the
second drive d: I have now made into a Linux drive.

I have made two image disks using boot.img and supp.img and have
attempted to install.  However of the choices of installation offered:
CD_ROM, nfs, ftp or hard-drive only the latter is feasible (I have no
CD player and no IP number for this second PC), however although I
have copied the Base and RPMS (?) directories onto the DOS c: drive
into the root directory, when the intallation asks where those
directories are located and I answer hda1 with path / neither
directory is located by the installation routine.  I have tried
changing the path from / to \, and even c:\ but to no avail.

Can anyone shed any light please?  I don't know how to copy the files
to the linux drive, so how do I get the installation routine to
recognise a DOS drive?

Thanks for any help you can offer, Rob
--------------------------------

Web:   http://www.unn.ac.uk/~isu8

2. using sendmail to send out EMAILS from Forms

3. Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

4. Can't edit srm.conf

5. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

7. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

8. xlc equivalent to gcc -static?

9. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

10. Rehat 5.1 Swap partition

11. Rehat 5.1 and Win95--Partitioning Conflicts

12. question on install from DOS partition

13. Installing Slackware 2.0 from DOS partition