Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

Post by Benjamin Horowi » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I was using Linux; however, I'm giving my computer to a friend, and he
wants to use DOS.  So I repartitioned my hard drive (using DOS's
FDISK).  Then I reformatted my hard drive (using DOS's FORMAT).  Now
when I try to boot off the hard drive, I get the following:

        LILO Loading Linux..........
        No setup signature found...

Then the computer hangs.  It seems to me that my FDISKing and
FORMATing failed to modify in the right way the master boot record (I
could be wrong about this).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

Post by Jim Littlefie » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I was using Linux; however, I'm giving my computer to a friend, and he
>wants to use DOS.  So I repartitioned my hard drive (using DOS's
>FDISK).  Then I reformatted my hard drive (using DOS's FORMAT).  Now
>when I try to boot off the hard drive, I get the following:

>    LILO Loading Linux..........
>    No setup signature found...

>Then the computer hangs.  It seems to me that my FDISKing and
>FORMATing failed to modify in the right way the master boot record (I
>could be wrong about this).

fdisk/mbr should fix this.

--
Jim Littlefield              "When I was a little kid we had a sand box.
                              It was a quicksand box. I was an only

Post by S. Newhous » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I was using Linux; however, I'm giving my computer to a friend, and he
> wants to use DOS.  So I repartitioned my hard drive (using DOS's
> FDISK).  Then I reformatted my hard drive (using DOS's FORMAT).  Now
> when I try to boot off the hard drive, I get the following:

>         LILO Loading Linux..........
>         No setup signature found...

> Then the computer hangs.  It seems to me that my FDISKing and
> FORMATing failed to modify in the right way the master boot record (I
> could be wrong about this).

> Any ideas?

> Thanks a lot.

boot from a DOS floppy disk with fdisk on it and type
 fdisk /MBR
This will remove LILO from the Master boot record.

-sen

http://www.mth.msu.edu/~sen |
 | Michigan State University      | telephone: 517-355-9684
|
 | E. Lansing, MI 48824-1027 USA  |       FAX: 517-432-1562

Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

Post by James Baili » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> fdisk/mbr should fix this.

I thought it was fdisk/newmbr? Although I haven't run DOS in a couple
of years. Maybe I'm thinking of OS/2's fdisk?

Bailie

Post by Tim Ke » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record
>Date: 09 Jul 1996 09:34:51 -0400
>I was using Linux; however, I'm giving my computer to a friend, and he
>wants to use DOS.  So I repartitioned my hard drive (using DOS's
>FDISK).  Then I reformatted my hard drive (using DOS's FORMAT).  Now
>when I try to boot off the hard drive, I get the following:
>        LILO Loading Linux..........
>        No setup signature found...
>Then the computer hangs.  It seems to me that my FDISKing and
>FORMATing failed to modify in the right way the master boot record (I
>could be wrong about this).
>Any ideas?
>Thanks a lot.

I think you need to do an 'fdisk /mbr' to rewrite the default DOS loader in
the MBR.
tk

1. reinstall or remove lilo from master boot record?

I have got three partitions on my hard disk, /dev/hda1 (dos), /dev/hda2 (swap) a
nd /dev/hda3 (Linux). Few days ago system crashed. After that I could not boot L
inux. I reinstalled linux (1.1.59 kernel) from scratch.

I installed full slackware release but It dosen't gives me an option to reconfig
ure lilo. Previously system used to come up with the dual boot prompt. Now it co
mes up with

  LI

and then it hangs. If I put the boot disk in A drive then it boots. Once booted
I can mount the hard disk and check my /mnt/etc/lilo.conf file (it is there). I
tried to reconfigure with /mnt/sbin/liloconfig but it says cannot access device
0x????.

I reinstalled the system again (making sure lilo is installed). refomated /dev/h
da2 and /dev/hda3. But the setup menu never asks to set lilo and liloconfig dose
n't execute completely.

Any help will be appritiated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Tariq Malik

2. Linux User Group in Lynchburg VA

3. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

4. problem with Seagate DDS4 tape drive / Solaris 8 x86

5. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

6. Linux mozilla 0.9.6

7. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

8. Newspaper article - Glad to be Goth (longish)

9. Killed Master Boot Record with Dr Dos.

10. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

11. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

12. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

13. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo