Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

Post by plod » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:14:23

I want to add a Linux only drive to a Win 98 system.  Win 98 drive
will be primary and Linux drive will be slave. The existing drive has
3 partions, Primary C: (system files), and extended D: (program & dat
files) & E: (temp and junk files).  Normally if I add a drive, new
drive will be D:, and partitions on old drive will become E: & F:.  I
don't want the letters to change because then I will need a Registry
hack etc, using software such as ZDNet's COA to change drive
references.  Otherwise, menus etc won't find old D: (new E:) programs.
 All the solutions I have Googled involve only Windows drives, and
reconfiguration of extended partitions.

Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
registry, shortcuts etc.

tia

John

Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

Post by dav.. » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:21:06

Quote:> Normally if I add a drive, new drive will be D:

If you add a Linux-only drive, that will not be saw by Windows, so the
actual "lettering" of the drives should not change. Anyway, you can
modify the lettering from Windows.

Davide

Post by Trevor MacPhai » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:23:21

> I want to add a Linux only drive to a Win 98 system.  Win 98 drive
> will be primary and Linux drive will be slave. The existing drive has
> 3 partions, Primary C: (system files), and extended D: (program & dat
> files) & E: (temp and junk files).  Normally if I add a drive, new
> drive will be D:, and partitions on old drive will become E: & F:.  I
> don't want the letters to change because then I will need a Registry
> hack etc, using software such as ZDNet's COA to change drive
> references.  Otherwise, menus etc won't find old D: (new E:) programs.
>  All the solutions I have Googled involve only Windows drives, and
> reconfiguration of extended partitions.

> Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
> existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
> registry, shortcuts etc.

I dont think this will be a problem for you since windows will not be
able to detect the linux drive. I dont have proof of this of course but
I do know that on my drive I have linux as the first partition and fat32
as the other two. The two fat32 partitions get detected as c and d and
linux remains hidden to windows.

-Trevor

Post by Juha Siltal » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:48:04

>> Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
>> existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
>> registry, shortcuts etc.

> I dont think this will be a problem for you since windows will not be
> able to detect the linux drive. I dont have proof of this of course but
> I do know that on my drive I have linux as the first partition and fat32
> as the other two. The two fat32 partitions get detected as c and d and
> linux remains hidden to windows.

I agree but cannot be sure either, as I don't have windows on my linux
machine. If you want to see the linux partitions from windows, find and
install a nifty utility called explore2fs, and make sure you use either
ext2 or ext3 as the linux filesystem. The support is read-only, but better
than nothing.

--
Juha Siltala

Post by V W Wal » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:16:09

> I want to add a Linux only drive to a Win 98 system.  Win 98 drive
> will be primary and Linux drive will be slave. The existing drive has
> 3 partions, Primary C: (system files), and extended D: (program & dat
> files) & E: (temp and junk files).  Normally if I add a drive, new
> drive will be D:, and partitions on old drive will become E: & F:.  I
> don't want the letters to change because then I will need a Registry
> hack etc, using software such as ZDNet's COA to change drive
> references.  Otherwise, menus etc won't find old D: (new E:) programs.
>  All the solutions I have Googled involve only Windows drives, and
> reconfiguration of extended partitions.

> Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
> existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
> registry, shortcuts etc.

Just add the new drive, format it for Linux and Windows won't even know
about it.  You do need to make at least three Linux partitions on the
added drive.  Most Linux install programs will take you thru this.
They will also install LILO or another boot device on your Windows
drive so you can boot to Linux or Windows.

Virg Wall
--

         Any sufficiently advanced technology
         is indistinguishable from magic.

               Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

Post by Jerry Peter » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:36:02

Quote:> I want to add a Linux only drive to a Win 98 system.  Win 98 drive
> will be primary and Linux drive will be slave. The existing drive has
> 3 partions, Primary C: (system files), and extended D: (program & dat
> files) & E: (temp and junk files).  Normally if I add a drive, new
> drive will be D:, and partitions on old drive will become E: & F:.  I
> don't want the letters to change because then I will need a Registry
> hack etc, using software such as ZDNet's COA to change drive
> references.  Otherwise, menus etc won't find old D: (new E:) programs.
> All the solutions I have Googled involve only Windows drives, and
> reconfiguration of extended partitions.
> Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
> existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
> registry, shortcuts etc.
> tia
> John

Create an extended partition and then create logical drives in it for
linux. Linux doesn't have any requirements for a primary partition.
The drive letters would only change if you add a second drive with one
or more primary partitions on it.

        Jerry

Add a Linux Drive to Win system drive letter complications

Post by Michael Kell » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:16:08

Quote:>Is there any simple way of adding Linux drive so I don'ty lose
>existing Win drive (partition) references, or do I still need to edit
>registry, shortcuts etc.

Jerry Peters is right.  As soon as you put a primary on
the second physical drive Windows will want to mark
it as D:.  Just make 'em all logicals inside an extended
that goes the whole drive.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

1. Linux hard drive sequence ( Drive letter assignments )

Does Linux enumerate the hard drives in a different sequence than Windows?

If I place a hard drive on my mobo's main primary IDE channel, it shows up
as "C:" in Windows 2000 (the first hard drive), but as "/hde" in Linux.

To get it to show up as "/hda", I need to place it on my mobo's primary IDE
RAID channel (which is an on-board HighPoint).

 - David D

P.S.,  I initially posted this is a different ng, but then decided that this
ng would be more appropriate.  My apologies for the cross-post.

2. slow sound (long post)

3. Linux hard drive sequence ( Drive letter assignments ) Problem

4. Licenses are in use

5. Linux has the same problem as "drive-letter" systems!

6. mouse block

7. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

8. Disabling app called in boot-up?

9. Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

10. How xfer data from Win 95 drive to Linux drive?

11. adding drives to existing Linux system

12. KDE Drops quits after adding Linux Drive in New system