Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

Post by Troy Settl » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

:>
:>This is my predicement.  I have an 850 meg Conner EIDE drive.  The
:>computer which Linux is to be installed is a 386dx25 with 8 megs of ram.
:>So... I have a few questions..
:>
:>1.  Is it possible to use DOS/Windows with Linux (using LILO)  I figure not
:>    since I need a overlay driver for my HD and LILO will overwrite that...?
:
:I would have to say no - I have the same problem.  That pesky little driver
:ust doesn't
:seem to survive LILO or LODLIN.
:
:
:If anyone provides you the answer to this one, please post it (or let me
know). :Right
:now, the only way I can get Linux to look at my msdos files is by copying them
:onto
:a floppy, switching operating systems, then looking at the floppy.
:Inconvenient to
:say the least.
:
:Good luck.
:
:George
:

I had the same problem with my 850meg WD.  Linux just didn't like the overlay.
After reading the newsgroups, I learned that setting the bios to LBA mode,
would change the geometry of the drive (leaving the space alone).  Of course,
you must have a system bios that has this feature.  Otherwise, I believe that
you will be stuck with a 540 meg partition (The maximum that DOS, and
appearantly, Linux can see with out problems).  If there's another solution to
this, I'll be happy to hear it so that I can put larger drives on my older
system that doesn't support LBA.

Post by George Tof » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>This is my predicement.  I have an 850 meg Conner EIDE drive.  The
>computer which Linux is to be installed is a 386dx25 with 8 megs of ram.
>So... I have a few questions..

>1.  Is it possible to use DOS/Windows with Linux (using LILO)  I figure not
>    since I need a overlay driver for my HD and LILO will overwrite that...?

I would have to say no - I have the same problem.  That pesky little driver just doesn't
seem to survive LILO or LODLIN.

If anyone provides you the answer to this one, please post it (or let me know).  Right
now, the only way I can get Linux to look at my msdos files is by copying them onto
a floppy, switching operating systems, then looking at the floppy.  Inconvenient to
say the least.

Good luck.

George

Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

Post by Christopher Wo » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: >
: >This is my predicement.  I have an 850 meg Conner EIDE drive.  The
: >computer which Linux is to be installed is a 386dx25 with 8 megs of ram.
: >So... I have a few questions..
: >
: >1.  Is it possible to use DOS/Windows with Linux (using LILO)  I figure not
: >    since I need a overlay driver for my HD and LILO will overwrite that...?

: I would have to say no - I have the same problem.  That pesky little driver
: just doesn't seem to survive LILO or LODLIN.

I had the same problem, but I think I found a fix.

I just got the latest kernel (1.3.4x??).  Seems that Linux 1.3 states
"transparent support" for Disk Manager drives.  I also gave the
hdb=x,y,z spec to LILO upon booting.

[ I assume that since you have a Conner that you are using Disk Manager
(probably v6.03) ].

The kernel worked.  It assessed my second hard drive -- which is Disk
Managered under DOS -- and gives me partitions hdb5 and hdb6 (instead of
hdb1 and hdb2, but what the heck).  I have a Western Digital 850M EIDE
drive, and no LBA access in my BIOS.

Alternately, for $25, you can get the upgrade for Disk Manager
from 6.x to 7.0, which operates in such a way as to allow Linux access
to the partitions (according to Ontrack, mfg of Disk Manager -- see their site
www.ontrack.com), but for a few bucks more you could probably upgrade your
BIOS.

The problem seems to be in the way Disk Manager stores the partition
information, but for the real scoop, ask the person who wrote the
kernel routines to access DM drives.

-Wolf

Real programmers don't document their code.  If it was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.
                         STEVE WOODFORD

Post by Shum Chun Kai Alfr » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

:
: 1.  Is it possible to use DOS/Windows with Linux (using LILO)  I figure not
:     since I need a overlay driver for my HD and LILO will overwrite that...?

You may not need a overlay driver if you are not going to put your DOS
partition above cyl 1024 (i.e. 528MB limit ). The only restriction is you
have to put DOS and Linux's root partition below cyl 1024.

: 2.  Is it possible to have the computer boot straight to LINUX without LILO
:     or any boot managers?  I just want to use linux, but if I do not use
:     my bootdisk, I get a Missing Operating System error and the computer
:     hangs.

If you want to boot straight into Linux, you must have LILO. LILO is not
only a boot manager, it is LInux LOader. It reads the kernel image from
disk and run it. Since LILO uses BIOS to read the kernel image, both LILO
and the kernel image must reside in a partition accessible by BIOS. Once
the kernel is loaded, it takes over disk access and can access the whole
drive.

For your configuration, it is better to make a / partition below cyl.
1024. (50MB should be more than enough). Then, make /usr and swap partition
where you like.

         _+_                           Alfred Shum
   _o_   \_/   _o_    vv_   __ _       University of Hong Kong
   \_/  (___) < //> <| '_< ||_|_|      EEE Part III
  (___)  | |  {___} <| \   \____/  o

  /___\ /___\ /___\ <|___\ /__=_\ /_\  http://www.eee.hku.hk/~h9310864

Post by Ray Se » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>This is my predicement.  I have an 850 meg Conner EIDE drive.  The
>computer which Linux is to be installed is a 386dx25 with 8 megs of ram.
>So I have read some posts, and I have seen some say that I should install
>DOS and then use loadlin, or.. just have a / partition smaller than 540 meg.
>1.  Is it possible to use DOS/Windows with Linux (using LILO)  I figure not
>    since I need a overlay driver for my HD and LILO will overwrite that...?
>2.  Is it possible to have the computer boot straight to LINUX without LILO
>    or any boot managers?  I just want to use linux, but if I do not use
>    my bootdisk, I get a Missing Operating System error and the computer
>    hangs.

You'll need to install lilo on the superblock of your linux partition and
then flag the linux partition as bootable with dos fdisk.  That should take
care of all of your problem...oh the 1024 cylinders...you'll have to do an
append=cyc,hds,sec in your lilo config specifying a number of cylinders
less then 1024.  if you double the number of heads then you can halve the
number of cylinders (I belive) Read the file EIDE.TXT for details.

* Raymond Seto              *   The Golden Rule:

Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

Post by Jeremy Ro » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>number of cylinders (I belive) Read the file EIDE.TXT for details.

Where is the EIDE.TXT available?

Jeremy Ross

Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

Post by Michael A. Frat » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a similiar problem with a WD 853 using LBA with cyl=827, heads=32,
and sec=63.  I pass 1654:16:32 via append= to LILO and it boots fine.
From a floppy that is.  I haven't been able to get LILO to install
(apparently) onto the MBR of the DOS partition, nor does making hda2
active via fdisk do anything useful.  Linux (root) is installed on hda2.

Any ideas ... this has become the first of many projects for the winter
break ... :)

Mike.

 scientific object, but is created,   | FLAME: /dev/null
 as is the readers view of it, by the | #include disclaim.h
 active construction of a text.       |
 John Van Maanen                      |

Help: LILO, EIDE overlay driver...

Post by Amaresh Jos » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a similiar problem with a WD 853 using LBA with cyl=827, heads=32,
> and sec=63.  I pass 1654:16:32 via append= to LILO and it boots fine.
> From a floppy that is.  I haven't been able to get LILO to install

Quote:> (apparently) onto the MBR of the DOS partition, nor does making hda2

Quote:> active via fdisk do anything useful.  Linux (root) is installed on hda2.
> Any ideas ... this has become the first of many projects for the winter
> break ... :)

i had the same problem. check out the linear addressing
option for lilo (-l, i think). hth.

amaresh
--
Amaresh R. Joshi             | 'Across the pale parabola of joy.'

Post by jm » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: >number of cylinders (I belive) Read the file EIDE.TXT for details.
:
: Where is the EIDE.TXT available?
:
: Jeremy Ross

:

        Yes, please.  I looked all over for the EIDE.txt.  I'm locking up
at the partition check.  (I even set the cyls below 1024).

                Thanks

--
 -------------------------------------------------  ________________________
  Ya gotta expect some roadkill on the                  Joe Burkot

 "10 pts if ya hit an AOLer wearing tennis shoes"   ------------------------
 -----------------------------------------------     [ finger for public key]

1. Need help on LILO and Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay.

Hello, I am a Linux Newbie.

My computer uses the Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay to overcome my BIOS
32GB limitation. After installing Redhat Linux 7.2, LILO had written
over the Drive Overlay. So I installed the Drive Overlay back, but in
the process it had written over the LILO. A BIOS upgrade seem to be
not possible.

How can I solve this problem?
Is there another way to boot Linux?

I also have Windows 98 and XP installed on the same computer.

2. distro/install questions for g4 powerbook

3. EIDE,lilo and fdisk - help ...

4. WordPerfect Files converted to Windows

5. LILO with 1.2gb EIDE drives...HELP...or is back to the old compiler???

6. second IDE disk in Sun Ultra 5 (Solaris 2.6)

7. HELP! LILO with EIDE bombs.

8. Which should I use, Toad or GTK+?

9. HELP: LILO destroyed MBR on a EIDE >504MB

10. Lilo and Drive Overlays

11. LILO and Disk Overlay?

12. LILO and WD Dynamic Drive Overlay

13. Running Lilo w/ Dynamic Drive overlay & Win95?