IBM Thinkpad: APM and IRDA

Post by Olin Shive » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am running Linux 2.0.26 on an IBM 560 Thinkpad. I've got a few questions
(the first being where is the best forum to ask the others -- I'm not
sure comp.os.linux.setup is the best choice):

1. Is there any kind of app, gui or text, that will report on the battery
   level?

2. Is there an app that lets you configure the advanced power management
   parameters?

3. Putting the Thinkpad into hibernation mode requires creating an
   invisible suspension DOS file to hold the system image. Can this
   be done in Linux?

4. Is there support for the IRDA transceiver? Are there ways to get
   data to/from Apple Newtons using the IRDA link?

1. THINKPAD IBM 560 APM

Olin
There is a apm x monitor. It shows the battery life left on the
screen. It is called xapm. It may be downloaded from
 ftp.cs.unc.edu /pub/users/faith/linux
or
tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/packages/laptops/apm

By the way, cat the file
/proc/apm
and all the info is in there.

If you figure out the hibernation mode, let me know. I didn't
even try it. I just use suspend (fn-F4) which works just fine
for me.
jont allen

2. A problem with Netscape for Linux

3. APM broken on 2.4.18 with IBM Thinkpad X21

4. Uniquely identifying processes

5. IBM Thinkpad A31 APM problem (monitor doesn't wake up)

6. granting mount permission to users

7. APM on IBM Thinkpad 600

8. Unable to boot RS/6000 43P with boot image

9. Strange APM problem with RH Linux on IBM Thinkpad

10. APM on IBM ThinkPad

11. APM, IBM Thinkpad, Kernel 1.1.80

12. apm on an IBM ThinkPad A30

13. APM woes: IBM T20 Thinkpad