Don't Change User ID under Redhat 6.1

Post by Ken Mart » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

As far as I can tell, Rehat 6.1 has a problem if you intsall a new user
and then change the user-id. I wanted to be a new user on upgrading to
use the new window manager (compared to 5.2), but wanted to respecify my
user id so I could access old directories. When I changed my user id,
Gnome (and/or Enlightment) would not start correctly. When I changed
user id back, it would start again. (When it stops working, your middle
button will still pop up a window to get a terminal and if you kill the
.Xauthority app, you can get out of the window system - I found out this
after numerous re-boots - a real hassle).

Also, if doing an upgrade I think Lilo is placed in the MBR without
giving you the choice (could be wrong here - I went back and did an
install, couldn't get an upgrade to work and gave up, I've never been
able to get a Redhat upgrade work and have tryed with every version
since well before 4)).

Also, can't figure out how to run KDE rather than Gnome.

Also, getting lots of errors from linuxconf. In install #2 and #3, it
stopped working. I'm now on install #4 and have things working somewhat,
but can't solve user id problem. Many problems came and went with new
installs, but I have no idea why.

Moral, don't upgrade and/or consider an alternative to Redhat. Their
product seems to have suffered since they went public.
-Ken Martin

Don't Change User ID under Redhat 6.1

Post by Brian Homa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

(Ken Martin) wrote
Re: Don't Change User ID under Redhat 6.1:

Quote:> As far as I can tell, Rehat 6.1 has a problem if you
> intsall a new user and then change the user-id. I wanted
> to be a new user on upgrading to use the new window
> manager (compared to 5.2), but wanted to respecify my
> user id so I could access old directories. When I changed
> my user id, Gnome (and/or Enlightment) would not start
> correctly. When I changed user id back, it would start again.
> (When it stops working, your middle button will still pop
> up a window to get a terminal and if you kill the
> .Xauthority app, you can get out of the window system -
> I found out this after numerous re-boots - a real hassle).

When you change your user-id, your old home directory will
no longer be owned by you.  After changing the id (easiest
way is to just edit /etc/passwd), you need to chown your
home directory:  chown -R username /home/username

Quote:> Also, if doing an upgrade I think Lilo is placed in the
> MBR without giving you the choice (could be wrong here
> - I went back and did an install, couldn't get an upgrade
> to work and gave up, I've never been able to get a Redhat
> upgrade work and have tryed with every version since well
> before 4)).

It asks where you want to put it...

Quote:> Also, can't figure out how to run KDE rather than Gnome.

If you run gdm, just click on options->KDE.. of course, you
need to have it installed ;)  'startkde' should work if gdm
isn't being used (run-level 3).

Quote:> Also, getting lots of errors from linuxconf. In install
> #2 and #3, it stopped working. I'm now on install #4 and
> have things working somewhat, but can't solve user id problem.
> Many problems came and went with new installs, but I have
> no idea why.

You obviously have somehow hosed your system, although some
of it could be due to the userid problem above...  A lack of
understanding what you are doing may also be attributable..

Quote:> Moral, don't upgrade and/or consider an alternative to
> Redhat. Their product seems to have suffered since they
> went public.

No, RedHat has done strange things forever, way before they
went public.  If you don't like them (and I personally don't)
then chose something else.  I like Slackware (have used it
ever since their first distro based on kernel 0.98).

Brian

Don't Change User ID under Redhat 6.1

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>As far as I can tell, Rehat 6.1 has a problem if you intsall a new user
>and then change the user-id. I wanted to be a new user on upgrading to
>use the new window manager (compared to 5.2), but wanted to respecify my
>user id so I could access old directories. When I changed my user id,
>Gnome (and/or Enlightment) would not start correctly. When I changed
>user id back, it would start again. (When it stops working, your middle
>button will still pop up a window to get a terminal and if you kill the
>.Xauthority app, you can get out of the window system - I found out this
>after numerous re-boots - a real hassle).

I am assuming you had a separate /home partition which
was not overwritten. In this case you  should have
created your users in the same order you created them
before, else give them the same id. The system uses
both to track things and you confused it...

Quote:>Also, if doing an upgrade I think Lilo is placed in the MBR without
>giving you the choice (could be wrong here - I went back and did an
>install, couldn't get an upgrade to work and gave up, I've never been
>able to get a Redhat upgrade work and have tryed with every version
>since well before 4)).

Neva tried to upgrade between versions, just rpms...

Quote:

>Also, can't figure out how to run KDE rather than Gnome.

Switchdesk ring any bells. There is a known bug with RH6.1
that you'll need the new floppy images to overcome.

Quote:>Also, getting lots of errors from linuxconf. In install #2 and #3, it
>stopped working. I'm now on install #4 and have things working somewhat,
>but can't solve user id problem. Many problems came and went with new
>installs, but I have no idea why.

>Moral, don't upgrade and/or consider an alternative to Redhat. Their
>product seems to have suffered since they went public.

In my view, things have improved. Yes, there are some bugs
and these will be ironed out. So far I have no problems
with it whatsoever.

--
It would save me a lot of time if you just gave up and went mad now.
  5:00pm  up 5 days, 16:40,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00