uninstalling LILO from boot record-HELP

Post by Brett W. Clar » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to uninstall LILO from my master boot record.  Does
anyone know how to do it?  I have heard of running
FDISK /MBR using DOS v6 and up.  Will this work for version 5
as well?

Brett Clark

uninstalling LILO from boot record-HELP

Post by CEVHER DOGA » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I also have similiar problem as you do. Please send any information that
you may have already received. My problem is I cannot boot to DOS
from the HD and when booting from the boot image floppy to Linux
Slackware 1.2.1 it first goes to a ro mode and the enables wr fs
after 60 sec. of timeout. I get the following msg:

The filesystem superblock corrupt.
Try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock using the -b option (8193 is
commonly an alternate superblock; Hence, e2fsck -b 8193 <device>, may recover
file system.

fsck returned error CODE - REBOOT NOW

Could anyone point out the possible fixes to this problem.
e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1 did not work.

THX - Jevher

Post by Eric Be » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to uninstall LILO from my master boot record.  Does
>anyone know how to do it?  I have heard of running
>FDISK /MBR using DOS v6 and up.  Will this work for version 5
>as well?

>Brett Clark

 I am fairly new but you can type lilo -u from you linux prompt and
then fdisk /mbr.

Post by Mentzelos Kost » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I also have similiar problem as you do. Please send any information that
: you may have already received. My problem is I cannot boot to DOS
: from the HD and when booting from the boot image floppy to Linux
: Slackware 1.2.1 it first goes to a ro mode and the enables wr fs
: after 60 sec. of timeout. I get the following msg:

: The filesystem superblock corrupt.
: Try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock using the -b option (8193 is
: commonly an alternate superblock; Hence, e2fsck -b 8193 <device>, may recover
: file system.

: fsck returned error CODE - REBOOT NOW

: Could anyone point out the possible fixes to this problem.
: e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1 did not work.

: THX - Jevher

I have expirienced the same problem and I lost all my data.
There was something that I didn't try.
mkfs -t ext2 -m0 /dev/hd..
This is the last thing you sould try.
Normaly you want lost your data, but I am absolutely not sure about it.
Kostis.

1. uninstalling LILO from boot record-HELP

I also have similiar problem as you do. Please send any information that
you may have already received. My problem is I cannot boot to DOS
from the HD and when booting from the boot image floppy to Linux
Slackware 1.2.1 it first goes to a ro mode and the enables wr fs
after 60 sec. of timeout. I get the following msg:

The filesystem superblock corrupt.
Try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock using the -b option (8193 is
commonly an alternate superblock; Hence, e2fsck -b 8193 <device>, may recover
file system.

fsck returned error CODE - REBOOT NOW

Could anyone point out the possible fixes to this problem.
e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1 did not work.

THX - Jevher

2. Help: HP35480 DAT and Solaris 2.1, how to setup ?

3. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?

4. APM

5. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

6. What's the real story? Sol 8 free or not?

7. help!!! LILO took over the boot record!

8. makefile problem

9. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

10. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

11. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

12. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

13. Can't boot after uninstalling LILO