Help: Linux ppp to a NETCOM dial-in ppp

Post by Patrick Dard » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Ray,

I've been trying for almost 2 months now, off and on.  I can get a
connection, it seems, but negotiation fails.

Netcom lets me login (using dip or chat) and it accepts my password, then it
starts up its side of ppp and my side starts negotiating--with what looks like
success at the beginning, but eventually failing in an extended time-out
sequence.

Has ANYBODY had success with this?

Thanks,
Patrick

: I've been trying for the last week to get ppp running on my Linux
: system to connect successfully to my Netcom dial-in PPP account.  Does
: anyone out there have a pppd command line which works that they can
: share with me?
:       Thanks in advance

: Ray Santos

--
===

===

Post by Mike Coh » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I've been trying for the last week to get ppp running on my Linux
>system to connect successfully to my Netcom dial-in PPP account.  Does
>anyone out there have a pppd command line which works that they can
>share with me?
>        Thanks in advance

I don't know about using it with an IX account, but I'm using Linux PPP
with a shell account & SLiRP right now (I have my kernel configured for IP
forwarding and I'm using Newswatcher on my Mac ethernetted to my PC which
is connected via PPP).

I use a command like:

/usr/lib/pppd cua2 38400 connect "chat -f netcom.chat" defaultroute

The chat script looks something like:

ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" ATZ OK ATDT5981700 CONNECT "" ogin:
myuserid ssword: mypassword "$" "exec slirp -P"

The last part will have to be changed to whatever you have to type to put
an IX account into PPP mode.

--

ISIS International - (818) 788-4747 / FAX (818) 501-0653
Home page: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/is/isis/home.html