Change keymap of linux?

Post by Qin » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 18:40:43

Hello, everybody!

I am a new user of linux. I find linux returns key BackSpace as Del,
same as key Del. I don't know why it is not Ctrl-H, as on many other
workstations. This is a big problem in many text editors. I need
BackSpace be Ctrl-H, not Del. Can anyone tell me how to modify the keymap
of linux?

Thank you very much.

Qin An
=====================================

 WWW      : http://www.ie.cuhk.hk/~anq4/
 Tele.    : (852) 26098384
 addr     : 828 HSH Performance Evaluation Lab

            Mr. Qin An
            Department of Information Engineering
            The Chinese University of Hong Kong
            Sha Tin, N. T.
            Hong Kong

Change keymap of linux?

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 01:56:56

: I am a new user of linux. I find linux returns key BackSpace as Del,
: same as key Del. I don't know why it is not Ctrl-H, as on many other
: workstations. This is a big problem in many text editors. I need
: BackSpace be Ctrl-H, not Del. Can anyone tell me how to modify the keymap
: of linux?

Quoting from the keyboard FAQ:
If, for example, you want your Backspace key to generate BackSpace
(Control_h), instead of the default Delete, then
% loadkeys
keycode 14 = BackSpace
%
will do.

1. console keymap vs. X keymap

Hi *,

distro: RH6.2

i changed my keyboard layout by manually modifying
/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
and then reloading the keytable. The problem is that whenever i start
xwindows, the keyboard reverts to its old bad layout. Any ideas?

thanks,
   ken.

2. 0.96 kernel crashed during reboot

3. change keymap on tru64

4. Mouse problem in Xfree

5. changing the keymap

6. Unknown Network Problem (with dynamic ip)

7. Change Keymap for User

8. What is this message?

9. Change keymap in KDE?

10. xterm keymap changes in Slackware 1.2?

11. Change keymap for dekstop switching

12. changing keymaps on the fly.

13. Changing Keyboard Mapping : Swiss/German Locale Keymap file ?