Linux program can't find ifs lib file -- help

Linux program can't find ifs lib file -- help

Post by Ron » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I bought a book called "Linux Complete Command Reference" it came with a CD
and I am trying to install the CD. The reader needed is Adobe Acrobat
I installed it per the install instructions. but when I try to run acrobat,
it complains that it can't find its lib, libreadcore.so, its in a directory
just above the acrobat and was put there by the install program. I checked
its permissions and there ok. Now what I am not sure of is the path. do I
need to set some path variable so that acrobat can find its lib?

Ron

1. New User..programs can't find LIB*.SO.4

I hope you can help out a NEW Linux user in need.  I just got linux and
X-Windows up and running.  I tried to install FElt , and engineering Finite
element program, but ran into problems.
Running "make install" goes fine but trying to run the executable comes
back with:

Can't find libc.so.4
or
can't find limb.so.4

Infact, most programs I've tried to install give the same message.  Now I
don't know what these files do, but I do know that I have a libc.so.5 and a
limb.so.5 on my harddrive.

Can anyone tell me what the files do and why I don't have them?  I'm
running Slackware linux 3.0.  There is source code for the program, but I
figured I'm already out of my league so that won't do me much good.  The
program's not near as full featured under DOS, so I hope this pans out.

One more stupid question.  What are ELF binaries and why does slackware 3.0
include them?

Thank You and Greatly Appreciated.
-------------------------------------
Wayne Pilgrim
Product Development Engineer, Edm, AB

--------------------------------------

2. Application Look & Feel

3. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

4. ISDN for Linux

5. convert 'a' lib' into 'so' lib

6. NT Applications and FreeBSD

7. Need lib file, can't find it on sunsite.

8. Oddball netscape/system error - need help

9. can't find certain lib* files

10. help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

11. Need Help after moving /usr/lib - can't find ld.so.1

12. GCC can't find X lib. HELP!

13. finding new files with 'find'--egg on face