HELP: virtual hosting, mail, pop3

Post by David Farbe » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

i am running RedHat 5.1 on a Pentium machine. i want to use the machine
to do virtual hosting. i am primarily concerned with virtual web
hosting, but i also need to provied email acounts for the domains i
host. i need to know:

1) how to set up accounts on each of the virtual domains.
2) how to allow ftp access to these accounts
3) how to configure sendmail to route mail to these accounts
4) how to set up a pop3 server to access these accounts.

i have been through the HOWTO archive, several books and several FAQs
and could not find this information. any help or pointers to info would
be greatly appreciated.

david

--
david farber//change ronemun to numenor in my email address to reply

Post by Erich Tit » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> i am running RedHat 5.1 on a Pentium machine. i want to use the machine
> to do virtual hosting. i am primarily concerned with virtual web
> hosting, but i also need to provied email acounts for the domains i
> host. i need to know:

> 1) how to set up accounts on each of the virtual domains.

those are just local accounts on your linux box.

Quote:

> 2) how to allow ftp access to these accounts

see above....

Quote:> 3) how to configure sendmail to route mail to these accounts

This is more tricky. to really handle all that you got to dig into
sendmail. The bat book gives you all the details and more, but essentially
you have to extend the range of domains your box accepts by using the
sendmail.cw file. Of course mail should be routed to your box first.

Quote:> 4) how to set up a pop3 server to access these accounts.

I used qpopper by Qualcomm. It is pretty easy to set up.

Quote:

> i have been through the HOWTO archive, several books and several FAQs
> and could not find this information. any help or pointers to info would
> be greatly appreciated.
> david

> --
> david farber//change ronemun to numenor in my email address to reply

Good luck

Erich

--
THINK
Puentenstrasse 39

HELP: virtual hosting, mail, pop3

Post by Erich Tit » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> i am running RedHat 5.1 on a Pentium machine. i want to use the machine
> to do virtual hosting. i am primarily concerned with virtual web
> hosting, but i also need to provied email acounts for the domains i
> host. i need to know:

> 1) how to set up accounts on each of the virtual domains.

those are just local accounts on your linux box.

Quote:

> 2) how to allow ftp access to these accounts

see above....

Quote:> 3) how to configure sendmail to route mail to these accounts

This is more tricky. to really handle all that you got to dig into
sendmail. The bat book gives you all the details and more, but essentially
you have to extend the range of domains your box accepts by using the
sendmail.cw file. Of course mail should be routed to your box first.

Quote:> 4) how to set up a pop3 server to access these accounts.

I used qpopper by Qualcomm. It is pretty easy to set up.

Quote:

> i have been through the HOWTO archive, several books and several FAQs
> and could not find this information. any help or pointers to info would
> be greatly appreciated.
> david

> --
> david farber//change ronemun to numenor in my email address to reply

Good luck

Erich

--
THINK
Puentenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon

1. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

Hello,

I am the SysAdmin for a small webhosting/colocation compny, and we are in
the midst of re-designing our network, particularly our mail servers.
While in one of our discussions regarding failover load-balancing, and
interesting question was brought up:

Is it possible to have the mail boxes in different locations on the
server, and direct the user to their mailbox based on the domain?

Let me explain what I mean, using our web servers as an example (yes, I
know that HTTP and mail are different protocols, but please bear with
me)...

We have two Linux web servers, let's say IP addresses of '192.168.1.1' and
'192.168.1.2'.  Each server is setup to listen on each IP address.

Each domain we setup is setup on one of the servers as it's "primary"
server, where the files are stored served from the local hard drive.

The site is then setup on the other server, which would server the site
off an NFS mount from an NFS server (the NFS server uses 'rsync' at
midnight each night to grab the updates/changes from the web servers
themselves).

The VirtualHost entries would look like this:

Primary:
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:80>
    DocumentRoot /websites/[0-9,a-z]/customerdomain.com
</VirtualHost>

Secondary:
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:80>
    DocumentRoot /nfs/websites/[0-9,a-z]/customerdomain.com
</VirtualHost>

Our router is then setup with "priority load balancing": it knows that if
the host header contains 192.168.1.1, to go to Server A (which serves up
the site locally), but if he is down, go to Server B (which serves the
site off the NFS mount).  Of course, the advantage to this setup is that
we could lose either server, and still be fine (some people just would not
be able to FTP their site chanes), *or* we could lose the NFS server, and
still be okay.  Of course, if we lost a server *and* the NFS server, then
we piss off half of our customers :-)

So, now for the questions:

  1. Is something similar possible for mail servers (it's not so much the
contents of the email directories I would care about as much as the
existence of the mailboxes themselves)
  2. If not possible (and I am almost sure it is not), what is the reason?
 I would guess it is the different way the protocols work.  Is there
material you could point me towards to learn about htis (the RFC's??)

TIA for your patience regarding this slightly off-topic post... :-)

2. Linux (RH) advice needed

3. pop3 login fails on virtual host imap mail server

4. Problem starting Madge token ring card

5. Kernel 2.2.x, very slow networking

6. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

8. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

9. Please Help : Virtual Mail Hosting !

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

12. virtual hosting and pop3