Which 7200 rpm UltraStar w/Asus P2BLS?

Post by Michael Meissne » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I want to get a couple of 9.1gb 7200 rpm drives to go with my
> ASUS P2BLS running a 450 PII.  I'll be running mostly RedHat 5.2.
> I lean towards IBM UltraStar - but which one to get? (ES? LP?)
> I'm tempted to throw the drives into their own case for future
> flexibility, and will get some dedicated cooling for them if they
> are known to run hot.  I'm shying away from other drives (and 10,000
> rpm) because I don't want something too noisy.

According to the specs, the 9LP's are faster than the 9ES (on the other hand,
they are more expensive too by about $20).  The seek time on the 9LP is 6.5 ms
vs. 7.5 ms for the 9ES.  The 9LP also has a temperture sensor in it to detect
overheating.  Compared to other 7200 RPM drives, the Ultrastars are supposed to
run cool (I'm trying to order  some 9lp's at the moment) -- you probably want
to get their own case (NECX sells Antec caes for $120 that hold 4 disks, and my
Antec case seems to have real good airflow).  The general recomendation I've
seen is for 7200 and higher disks, buy a 4 element case to hold 2 disks (ie,
leave room between the disks).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

1. 7200 RPM Drives or 10K RPM Drives for Web Server

I am building a configuration for our web servers (will be running
linux), and am trying to get to the lowest cost per box possible.

My question is this... with a web root under 20MB and 1GB of Ram in
these machines... would I be better of with one 10K 18.2GB drive, or 2
9.1GB 7200 RPM drives with the web root sitting on the second drive? Or
do I really need to eat the extra $600 per box and have two 18.2GB
drives?

Thanks in advance.

Max

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. mail attachment

3. ASUS/Tayan, BusLogic 956c, Fujitsu 2GIG 7200

4. pthreads scheduling

5. Need HELP Micropolis 2gb model 4221 7200 RPM 3.5" Drive

6. Who uses socket?

7. 15.0 GB QUANTUM LM PLUS 7200 RPM HD

8. Does anyone know of a way to MS-Word files?

9. Asus P2BLS

10. SCSI drive (Connor 2 gig 7200 RPM 512cache $679)

11. hard disk says 7200 rpm but sunos says 3600

12. Asus P2BLS Motherboard

13. Q: HD 7200 vs 10000 RPM ?