RedHat 5 install hangs on Compaq 7730MT

Post by Martin Roesc » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
     I've got a brand new Compaq 7730MT laptop with 64MB of RAM that is
* hard (power off to reset!) during the PCMCIA initialization of
the RedHat 5.0 install, immediately following the supplementary disk
swap and load sequence.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've
searched DejaNews, RedHat's web site, and MetaCrawler for info, and have
found nothing.

Post by David Pritchar » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've got a brand new Compaq 7730MT laptop with 64MB of RAM that is
>* hard (power off to reset!) during the PCMCIA initialization of
> the RedHat 5.0 install

This isn't really an answer to your question, but does RedHat Linux have
PC-Card support then?

RedHat 5 install hangs on Compaq 7730MT

Post by Martin Roesc » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes, it does have PCMCIA support, it's* during the PCMCIA
detection phase.  Further investigation has led me to believe that the
PCMCIA driver set that comes with RedHat 5.0 (and Slackware 3.4 and
Debian 1.31) doesn't support the TI PCI-1131 PCMCIA controller chip that
is in the Armada.  There is a beta version of the 3.0 PCMCIA services
release available now which looks to have support for the 1131 chip now,
so I'm formulating a new strategy for installation.

What I'm going to do is download RH5 onto another machine and burn a CD
of the RH5 release, then I'll install it on my laptop without PCMCIA
services, then I'm going to grab the 3.0 beta, compile it up, and try to
install it.

Unfortunately, the CD-ROM drive that was supposed to come with the
laptop didn't show up with the system, so I'm going to have to move the
burner onto my docking station after burning the CD on a machine with
more drive space, then install from there.

Who says installing RedHat isn't easy. :)

   - Marty

RedHat 5 install hangs on Compaq 7730MT

Post by mike » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem when I tried to install RH5 onto my Gateway 9100XL.
My solution: restart and try again!!  The second time it went smoothly.

> Hi,
>      I've got a brand new Compaq 7730MT laptop with 64MB of RAM that is
>* hard (power off to reset!) during the PCMCIA initialization of
> the RedHat 5.0 install, immediately following the supplementary disk
> swap and load sequence.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've
> searched DejaNews, RedHat's web site, and MetaCrawler for info, and have
> found nothing.

1. Redhat 5.1 Install Hangs (Compaq Woes???)

I am trying to install a nice new copy of Redhat 5.1 on an aged Compaq

I put the boot floppy in drive a: the system starts, probes & finds
all my devices, one strange message is :

RAMDISK: compressed image at block 0

then hangs at the Welcome To Redhat screen where all I should have to
do is tap the <space>bar to continue, [F12] for next screen ,etc,
cannot get past that screen, system is as follows:

(Apologies if there is redundent information here but I did not want
to miss anything that might be inmportant)

System ROM
====================
Revision: 10/11/94
Family: 486C3
Flashable: No
Supports F10 Partition: Yes
Socketed: Yes

Video Controller ROM
====================
Revision 1.41 (Cirrus)

Option ROMs
=====================
Address Range C0000-C7FFF
Data Dump (CL-GD542X VGA BIOS Version 1.41)

Machine ID from systemboard: 238

No Coprocessor

Enhanced keyboard

Ports
====

LPT1 (address 378) mode (compatable)
COM1 (address 3F8)
COM2 (address 2F8)

Modem COM2 02F8 (14400 baud with Fax)

Embeded IDE Controller IRQ14, Base address 0x1f0

Compaq dual speed CD-ROM
Drive Position 2
Revision 1.0d
Model Matchita CD-ROM CR-571

Drive Controller 1
==============
Standard Interface: Primary
Harddrive 1 Type 65 (365 Mb)
Serial Number 223500910006

Graphics Mode 12 (640 x 480 Graphics)
VGA Monitor Type: Compaq 1024 Monitor

Promary Monitor attached to Cirrus CL-GD5424 Graphics Controller with
video graphics color monitor
Video Memory: 512 kbytes

Memory
======
System Board: 4 Mb
SIMM Slot 1: 8 Mb
SIMM Slot 2: 8 Mb

Audio: Integrated 16-bit sound (I/O address 220h, Version 6886 )

I thought that maybe the problem might be with the hidden diagnostics
partition that Compaq puts on their HD's so I removed it & fdisked the
drive to make sure that absolutely everything was gone.

Has anyone else come across this particular problem?

Marcel

2. Linux Installfest Sunday!!! RSVP soon!

3. Compaq Armada 7730MT / Slackware / XF386

4. DigiPortserver for SCO unix

5. Compaq Armada 7730MT - what RAMDAQ?????????????

6. Mouse and Keyboard stop working when X 4.1.0 Starts up

7. Compaq Armada 7730MT RAMDAQ trouble(?)

8. Canon Printer Users...Please Read

9. Compaq Armada 7730MT - what RAMDAQ?????????????

10. Compaq Armada 7730MT Ethernet card built into docking station

11. Network install hung during redhat install

12. Compaq servers with redhat 6.2 hang

13. Hangs during ftp on Redhat 7.0 on old Compaq DP4000