Samba configuration problem - assistance greatly appreciated!

Samba configuration problem - assistance greatly appreciated!

Post by Clem D » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Could someone help me with a Samba problem please, before I put my foot
throught either my Linux or Windows NT system?

I have a Windows NT 3.51 system (with SP5) and I'm trying to configure Samba
1.9.17p4 (as supplied with RedHat 5.0) on my Linux RH5.0 system (no updated
RPMs), so that I can map drives on the NT box from the Linux system. I'm using
John Blair's Samba reference manual as a configuration guide.

As far as I can tell, Samba is quite happy from the Linux end. All of the
diagnostic tests detailed in Blair's book pass with flying colours, but
something ain't right somewhere!

If I configure Samba as the Master browser (the suggestion for a small, single
subnet network), the NT box just doesn't see the Linux box, either via a NET
VIEW command, or by using File Manager to try and map a drive. If I configure
Samba not to be the Master browser, then the Linux box does appear in the
browse list, but any attempt to map a network drive using NET USE gives the
error message:

System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

File Manager reports the second of the two messages.

According to the output of smbclient -L <sambaserver> -U '' -N, my Linux
system is offering IPC$ and tmp shares, but only the Linux box appears in the
browse list. (I expected to see my NT box too.)

As I have a Win95 box which plays quite happily with the NT box, my money is
on a Samba configuration problem somewhere, but I simply don't know where to
look or go from here! There's nothing obvious in any of the Samba or system
log files. I've checked /etc/services and ports 137,138 & 139 seem to be
configured OK.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and crack this one? I'm pretty
sure that it's something obvious, but I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Clem

Post by Marc Jauvi » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Could someone help me with a Samba problem please, before I put my foot
> throught either my Linux or Windows NT system?

> I have a Windows NT 3.51 system (with SP5) and I'm trying to configure Samba
> 1.9.17p4 (as supplied with RedHat 5.0) on my Linux RH5.0 system (no updated
> RPMs), so that I can map drives on the NT box from the Linux system. I'm using
> John Blair's Samba reference manual as a configuration guide.

> As far as I can tell, Samba is quite happy from the Linux end. All of the
> diagnostic tests detailed in Blair's book pass with flying colours, but
> something ain't right somewhere!

> If I configure Samba as the Master browser (the suggestion for a small, single
> subnet network), the NT box just doesn't see the Linux box, either via a NET
> VIEW command, or by using File Manager to try and map a drive. If I configure
> Samba not to be the Master browser, then the Linux box does appear in the
> browse list, but any attempt to map a network drive using NET USE gives the
> error message:

> System error 53 has occurred.
> The network path was not found.

> File Manager reports the second of the two messages.

> According to the output of smbclient -L <sambaserver> -U '' -N, my Linux
> system is offering IPC$ and tmp shares, but only the Linux box appears in the
> browse list. (I expected to see my NT box too.)

> As I have a Win95 box which plays quite happily with the NT box, my money is
> on a Samba configuration problem somewhere, but I simply don't know where to
> look or go from here! There's nothing obvious in any of the Samba or system
> log files. I've checked /etc/services and ports 137,138 & 139 seem to be
> configured OK.

> Could someone please put me out of my misery and crack this one? I'm pretty
> sure that it's something obvious, but I have no idea.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> TIA

> Clem

Have you installed the "Client for Microsoft" on your WinNT/Win95 platform? If
not, it will never work!

--

Marc Jauvin

Post by Steve Weinga » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> Could someone help me with a Samba problem please, before I put my foot
>> throught either my Linux or Windows NT system?
>> TIA

>> Clem

I was having the same problem, I started looking for SAMBA info (sorry I
didn't bookmark the site, it may have been linuxresources.com).  The fix wa to
go to a minimal smb.conf file...

   workgroup = Your_workgroup name

   [homes]
      guest ok = no
      read only = no

After I installed this and did:

 /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

and wallah, it all works!  then I added:

  [root]
      comment = me as root
      guest ok = no
      path = /
      valid users = my_user_id
      public = no
      writable = yes

and again:
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

to get full access to the whole file system

I hope that this helps

Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)

Samba configuration problem - assistance greatly appreciated!

Post by e.. » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Are you in tcp/ip only environment?  If so, have you considered making your
Linux box your WINS and Master Browser?  Running a network w/o WINS with
tcp/ip only Wintel environment spanning routers, etc.  would mean you couldn't
see stuff in your Network Neighborhood.

Cheers

Post by Eric Rosem » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> >> Could someone help me with a Samba problem please, before I put my foot
> >> throught either my Linux or Windows NT system?
> >> TIA

> >> Clem

> I was having the same problem, I started looking for SAMBA info (sorry I
> didn't bookmark the site, it may have been linuxresources.com).  The fix wa to
> go to a minimal smb.conf file...

>    workgroup = Your_workgroup name

>    [homes]
>       guest ok = no
>       read only = no

> After I installed this and did:

>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

> and wallah, it all works!  then I added:

>   [root]
>       comment = me as root
>       guest ok = no
>       path = /
>       valid users = my_user_id
>       public = no
>       writable = yes

> and again:
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

> to get full access to the whole file system

> I hope that this helps

> Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)

  Please put your foot through the NT box first.  Then buy a new linux box, forget samba and
everything will be ok. :->

Samba configuration problem - assistance greatly appreciated!

Post by Clem D » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

In the end, I didn't have to kill either my Linux or my NT box. As every Samba
test passed and Samba reckoned that it could 'see' my NT box, I looked further
afield. What I found was that the netmask on the NT box was set to
255.255.255.0, whilst on the Linux box it was set to 255.255.0.0. I confess
and say that I didn't check this first-off, simply because I could ping and
Telnet to the Linux box without any problem. Because the Linux box would
appear in the NT browse list, I assumed (wrongly) that it must be a Samba/NT
issue.

Fixing the netmask on the Linux box appears to have fixed things. I can get to
my home directory and /TMP. Brief testing so far indicates that Samba is
pretty quick!

Thanks once again.

Regards

Clem

>>> Could someone help me with a Samba problem please, before I put my foot
>>> throught either my Linux or Windows NT system?
>>> TIA

>>> Clem

>I was having the same problem, I started looking for SAMBA info (sorry I
>didn't bookmark the site, it may have been linuxresources.com).  The fix wa
>go to a minimal smb.conf file...

>   workgroup = Your_workgroup name

>   [homes]
>      guest ok = no
>      read only = no

>After I installed this and did:

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

>and wallah, it all works!  then I added:

>  [root]
>      comment = me as root
>      guest ok = no
>      path = /
>      valid users = my_user_id
>      public = no
>      writable = yes

>and again:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba stop
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba start

>to get full access to the whole file system

>I hope that this helps

>Steve   (remove anti spam XYX in return address for correct email)

Samba configuration problem - assistance greatly appreciated!

Post by Neil Kooze » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Thank you for posting the resolution of the problem.  I wish more folks
would do the same because the educator needs educated, too.

--
Neil.

// for email reply replace rosemet with rosenet //

1. Newbie Haveing problems setting up dosemu, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have RedHat 5.2. I have read the dosemu-HOWTO along with several other
documents but I can't figure out how to make a hdimage if that is what I am
suposed to do.
    I have dos set up as /mnt/dos and useing mtools I can copy things from
it specifying it as drive c: as in the mtools.conf in /etc useing mcopy (If
that actuly means anything).
    I would like to be able to go into dos to run things while linux is
runing without haveing to re-boot to dos. Is there any other way to run
things(Some programs and a file to configure a jumperless modem and posibly
WFW3.11 so that I can run win programs)? And then be able to return to linux
without shutting down the entire system?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Tom

3. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

4. 2Mx32 60ns $34.00

5. Limiting disk data transfer rate, Any help greatly appreciated

6. Opinions on IPv6?

7. Newbie: would greatly appreciate help!!!

8. 2.0.17 nfs says bad superblock

9. How to pass IP/SEC data thru ipchains -- assistance appreciated

10. question on serial drivers in linux - assistance appreciated

11. Samba - XP problem - appreciate the help!

12. Linux configuration, help would be appreciated...

13. HOW to upgrade to samba 2.2.3a without losing previous samba configuration