WD7193 SCSI controller and Conner CFP1060S hard drive problem

WD7193 SCSI controller and Conner CFP1060S hard drive problem

Post by crs1.. » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux Slackware (with kernel 2.0).  I have the
following system:

Pentium 133Mhz
48 Megs RAM

1.44 floppy drive (A: drive)
Western Digital WD7193 SCSI controller
Conner CFP1060S hard drive
        1 DOS/WIN95 partition (C: drive)
        1 blank partition (D: drive, where Linux is to be installed)
Toshiba XM-3701TA CDROM (E: drive)
Iomega parallel port ZIP drive (F: drive)

Problem 1:
When I use lilo to install linux, it can't find my SCSI controller no matter
what bootdisk I use.  Depending on what bootdisk I use, it either says
something like:

Installation of WD7000 failed

or

SCSI devices=0

Problem 2:
I have heard that putting linux on a Conner CFP1060S can be hazardous to the
health of your hard drive.  Has anyone tried linux with this type of drive?

Problem 3:
In the event that I cannot put linux on my hard drive, I would like to put it
on my zip drive.  How?

If anyone has answers to any or all of the above three problems, could they
either post or email me at

Thanks!

WD7193 SCSI controller and Conner CFP1060S hard drive problem

Post by Ben La » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Problem 1:
> When I use lilo to install linux, it can't find my SCSI controller no matter
> what bootdisk I use.  Depending on what bootdisk I use, it either says
> something like:

> Installation of WD7000 failed

> or

> SCSI devices=0

> Problem 2:
> I have heard that putting linux on a Conner CFP1060S can be hazardous to the
> health of your hard drive.  Has anyone tried linux with this type of drive?

This is an old FAQ.....:)
I was used to have a WD7193 SCSI controller and ended up with buying a
Adaptec 2940U.
The problem can rarely be happened on your Cornner hard drive.  It's
because of your WD controller.
I had done lots of researches and surfed on internet for looking for an
available driver but I failed.
WD has sold the SCSI dep. to Adaptec and Adaptec isn't willing to
develope new driver for those contollers.
So, the conclusion is either you give up installing linux or you have to
buy a compatable controller for linux....OR write a driver by
yourself.........I believe that many people will be happy about your
great achievement!!!

Good luck!!!
                                3/31/1997

1. Conner CFP1060S scsi nightmare

Hello.  I have a SPARC 2 with a Conner CFP1060S 1.05GB SCSI hard disk
running RH Linux 5.1 -- or at least I was running RH Linux 5.1 before my
filesystem become horribly corrupted with inode errors.  The precise error
message while running mke2fs reads:

Current error sd08:01: sense key Hardware Error
Additional sense indicates Track following error
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01 sector xxxxxx

 My scsi controller appears to be NCR53C90A.  According to the SCSI Howto,
"There is now a fix available for customers with a CFP1060x (microcode
revisions 9WA1.62/1.66/1.68) and Linux. To apply the upgrade, you will need
a DOS boot disk and ASPI drivers that can access the hard drive. The upgrade
downloads new queuing and lookahead code into the non-volatile SCSI RAM of
the drive."  I have microcode rev. 9WA1.66, but apparently no one at Seagate
(which bought out Conner) knows how to implement this upgrade on a SPARC.
Is there anyone who can help??  Thanks.

2. PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0 for PCI device 1011:0019

3. Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

4. FIPS use

5. Power down Conner 2GB SCSI Hard Drive?

6. Alias?

7. Mailing list for Conner CFP1060S problems

8. VMS backup to UNIX

9. Odd SCSI detection problem - NCR controller, CONNER harddrive

10. Driver for WD7193 SCSI controller?

11. Need driver for WD7193 SCSI controller

12. WD7193 driver ? (PCI-SCSI controller)

13. Linux and Western Digital WD7193 SCSI Controller