How do you change screen resolution in Linux

How do you change screen resolution in Linux

Post by commande » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 I installed Linux-Mandrake 6.1 some weeks ago. When I first setup
Linux I had a 17" Mag monitor. The Mag was old, it gave up. I now have
a 15" :( HP Pavilion M50. The graphics card is a Riva TNT2.
 After much work using xconf I have linux running again using the HP
monitor. The problem is the screen is so large I have to move the
mouse like two screens to see were I am. Even the first log on screen
"block" is so large, it's bigger than the monitor screen.
 I guess I have linux running in 640 X 480. How do I get things back
to 1024 X 768? or even 800 X 600?

Thanks for the help
Michael

Post by Karl-Heinz Herrman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>  I guess I have linux running in 640 X 480. How do I get things back
> to 1024 X 768? or even 800 X 600?

The Xserver has a configuration file: /etc/XF86Config

There you will tell X the limits of your monitor (Hsync, Vsync).  X
will alway try to start in the highest possible resolution without
violating these limits.

*OR* this xconf wrote the default resolutions in a strange way (lowest
to highest).

Try "Alt_Ctrl_+" and "Alt_Ctrl_-" to switch to different resolutions.
If there are none you are stuck in something like VGA mode.

This can be your card (eg. X doesn't know it's better ->
misconfigured) or the monitor settings are to restrictive (that
monitor *can* do more, doesn't it?)

if you start the X-server by startx you will get a lot of logging in
~/.X.err and .X.out -- read them.

The xdm errors are maybe in /var/log/ -- or whereever.
The files should be named xdm.err[*] or similar.
maybe try a 'locate xdm' if that doesn't find too many files.

read them too. There most probably is some information *why* you are
stuck in the low resolution.

K.-H.

--
-----------------------------------
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

-----------------------------------

How do you change screen resolution in Linux

Post by commande » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 Thanks for the help. I guess I'm stuck in 640 X 480. "ALT_Ctrl_+ or
-" does nothing
 When linux starts I log on with linux 1. If I type startx I get bad
command or something like that.

Again thanks for the help, I'll have to do more reading,very new at
linux.

Michael
On 11 Apr 2000 17:41:18 +0200, Karl-Heinz Herrmann

>>  I guess I have linux running in 640 X 480. How do I get things back
>> to 1024 X 768? or even 800 X 600?

>The Xserver has a configuration file: /etc/XF86Config

>There you will tell X the limits of your monitor (Hsync, Vsync).  X
>will alway try to start in the highest possible resolution without
>violating these limits.

>*OR* this xconf wrote the default resolutions in a strange way (lowest
>to highest).

>Try "Alt_Ctrl_+" and "Alt_Ctrl_-" to switch to different resolutions.
>If there are none you are stuck in something like VGA mode.

>This can be your card (eg. X doesn't know it's better ->
>misconfigured) or the monitor settings are to restrictive (that
>monitor *can* do more, doesn't it?)

>if you start the X-server by startx you will get a lot of logging in
>~/.X.err and .X.out -- read them.

>The xdm errors are maybe in /var/log/ -- or whereever.
>The files should be named xdm.err[*] or similar.
>maybe try a 'locate xdm' if that doesn't find too many files.

>read them too. There most probably is some information *why* you are
>stuck in the low resolution.

>K.-H.

How do you change screen resolution in Linux

Post by Karl-Heinz Herrman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

>  Thanks for the help. I guess I'm stuck in 640 X 480. "ALT_Ctrl_+ or
> -" does nothing

pitty -- that was the easiest possibility. ;-/

Quote:>  When linux starts I log on with linux 1. If I type startx I get bad
> command or something like that.

Hmm... then start X directly. probably just "X" as command.
The messages will be too much for one screen so maybe redirect stdout
and stderr to a file:

make sure you work in bash (one of many shell types and the redirect
in the file below is shell specific). So:

bash (or sh if bash isnt there)
X > X_errlog 2>&1

then X_errlog should be helpful.

K.-H.

--
-----------------------------------
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

-----------------------------------

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. alternate Posix timer patch4

3. Changing screen resolution on multiple screen system

4. bug in process id's

5. changing screen resolution in linux-mandrake 7.0

6. i do not have an x-style program installed. can i connect to dalnet?

7. Changing screen resolution on a SunRay system?

8. OpenSSL (or simular) for solaris 2.6?

9. Changing screen resolution

10. Solaris/X86, Changing Screen Resolution

11. Change Screen Resolution

12. help: keys for changing screen resolutions

13. Change screen resolution in XFree 4.X