Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

Post by Skelte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Argh!  So close!

I'm installing Debian because it is the only one I've seen that even talks
about machines with 4M of ram.
This is an old, Ascentia 800N laptop, 4M ram, something round 512M
hard-drive.

Partitions are 300+M Linux native, 2M minix for temp install, and 82M+  for
Linux swap.

Using the Debian low-mem install.  All goes well until booting from the
harddrive.  I avoid installing any new modules.
Several messages appear during startup, exclaiming they cannot allocate
memory.
modprobe complains its out of memory
grep complains about memory
libc.so.6: cannot map zero-fill pages: cannot allocate memory

Argh!  Has anybody managed to pull this off?  Do you have any pointers?
I'll trade Shiner Bock for some good hints (srma)!

-s

1. tar, streamer : "Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory"

On my systems I frequently run into the following problem when backup to a
streamer using tar.
Creation of the file goes just fine, but as soon as I want to read back,
tar scans a few hundred files and then fails in the middle of the last file:

tar (child): /dev/st0: Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory
tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

I found many topics in usenet for this problem, but didnt find a solution.
It seems that with 2.4-kernel a piece of code had changed and one has to
take more care about blocksize now, but I dont know which blocksize to use
and if I need to set it at the tar-command and/or the the streamer directly
(using the mt-command)

thnx,
peter

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

2. NFS client problem and IO blocksize

3. Trouble installing RH7.1 on a low-memory machine

4. DNS question

5. allocating low memory

6. Midnight commander pr

7. Super memory allocator, allocates memory so you think that it's really and truly free........

8. Daemon launching interactive app?

9. /dev/tape: Cannot allocate memory

10. fork: cannot allocate memory

11. message - mlockall() - cannot allocate memory

12. /dev/audio: Cannot allocate memory

13. should be: cannot allocate memory : fork error on 2.5.58