'make dep' gives error - what gives?

Post by Ralph Putma » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

First, yes I am a newbie to Linux.  I've been given the task to put up
a Linux web site.  I almost have things working (Linux is up and running,
and sees everything except my ewrk3 ethernet card; XFree86 is up [what
do I do next???])

In order to get the ethernet card up, I've decided to recompile my
kernel, v1.2.3.  Or, at least, I'm trying to...  :(

I've gone through 'make config', and seemingly all is well.  I did have
to create the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers because 'make dep'
complained.  After I created the drivers directory, I redid 'make clean'
and then 'make dep'.  Get the following messages:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'dep'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-1.2.3/drivers'
make: *** [depend] Error 127

Any hints?

Post by Theo Van Dint » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I've gone through 'make config', and seemingly all is well.  I did have
: to create the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers because 'make dep'
: complained.  After I created the drivers directory, I redid 'make clean'
: and then 'make dep'.  Get the following messages:

: make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'dep'.  Stop.
: make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-1.2.3/drivers'
: make: *** [depend] Error 127

sounds like you don't have a full version of the kernel source... as I
remember, there are bunches O' files in that drivers directory, and there
is a rule for "dep", so... <shrug>  you might just want to try grabbing
the newest kernels (1.2.12 I believe) and trying again. 8)

good luck!

                   WWW Home Page:  http://ee.wpi.edu/~tvd/
     Active Member in: LnL, SOMA, and ACM - PGP Key Available via finger
            "C.I.A." -- A contradiction in terms most of the time.

Post by Bill Stege » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: First, yes I am a newbie to Linux.  I've been given the task to put up
: a Linux web site.  I almost have things working (Linux is up and running,
: and sees everything except my ewrk3 ethernet card; XFree86 is up [what
: do I do next???])

: In order to get the ethernet card up, I've decided to recompile my
: kernel, v1.2.3.  Or, at least, I'm trying to...  :(

: I've gone through 'make config', and seemingly all is well.  I did have
: to create the directory /usr/src/linux/drivers because 'make dep'
: complained.  After I created the drivers directory, I redid 'make clean'
: and then 'make dep'.  Get the following messages:

: make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'dep'.  Stop.
: make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-1.2.3/drivers'
: make: *** [depend] Error 127

: Any hints?

I had the same problem with 1.2.1.
I obtained the source for 1.2.9 and all was well!

Maybe you should do the same?

--
Bill Stegers, Schoener 30, 4511 JS BRESKENS, The Netherlands - Europe
WWW-homepage http://www.zeelandnet.nl/people/bill_ste/index.htm

Get my public PGP-key from my home page. My nickname on IRC is Jelly.

1. Give Me a Lad of 20 And I'll Give You...

So the intern started on Monday, and I've got him doing some stuff we need.

To get started quick (no computer, no desk, welcome to the declining
empire), I give him my laptop, saying, "This is linux, but I'm sure we'll
find an editor quick that you'll be comfortable."  Fired up Automatic and
we got him editing some files that have been piling up.

"Can you network it?"  "Oh sure, Windows thinks its a Windows file server,
let me transfer some files over for you."

So today at Lunch he has a lot of questions about Linux, he's already been
looking at it in stores and is figuring for a dual-boot to start.

The funny thing is that I was so swamped I never had time to offer my usual
ranting sermons on Linux, I really just threw the computer at him and told
him to get started.  But he kept asking these damn questions, like what's
so great about it?  So I drop to a command line and show the following:

I like this little toy example (even though the grep is superfluous)
because it shows the simple fact that Linux allows you to do anything you
can think of just by sticking together little pieces.  "That's Cool!"  Ah,
the honest brevity of youth.

So, is the answer, "...a linux user for life?"  Hardly.  Not yet, maybe
never.  But it's amazing how the college set will just let loose with the
questions and want to grab it and start playing with it.
--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

2. Slackware install help

3. Multia gives 'lca' errors

4. missing device files?

5. Netscape Com.4.04 gives 'Bus Error' when not run by root

6. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.16)

7. Partition gives I/O error on 'mkdir'

8. logrotate question...

9. pppd gives a 'no compressor for...' error

10. ConfigXF86 gives 'No such file or directory' errors

11. sag utility gives a 'terminal type not known' error

12. getcwd gives 'permission denied' error on second drive only

13. DDD gives 'Error: Cannot perform malloc'