Q: how do you create a ramdisk

Post by Lyndon Hi » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
Sorry if this question has been on here before but the only reference
I could extract said look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt.
Well, I just did a find and it aint there!
        I have Slackware 3.0.0 Kernel 1.2.13.
When I installed I foolishly thought that I would still need a MSDOS
partition. I ended up with 600Mb for MSDOS, 40Mb for my root partition
and 350Mb for a /usr partition. Guess what? My root partition is
bursting and there's still loads of good software I'd like to install.
What I'm attempting to do is create a ramdisk so I can boot linux off
a floppy and then use ftape to restore all my data.
        I need to know a How to make the (root) ramdisk. (I think I know what
files I need). or b. Where there is a suitable FAQ. I read the
Bootdisk-HOWTO but that didn't really help.
        Please don't suggest config ' ing so that my system runs in it's
present state. 600Mb for MSDOS is a criminal waste.

Sorry the post is so long.

Cheers in advance,

Lyndon Hill

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. 4mm DATs?

3. DOS <-> Linux and other Qs

4. Failed requests...

5. Creating a initial ramdisk as a non-root user - how ?

6. TEST:IGNORE

7. How do you create your own boot disk with a ramdisk image as well??

8. Send 20 FREE Pages of Fax to any Fax machines in the World!

9. Help creating a ramdisk in 2.1.45

10. Problems creating initial ramdisk

11. create RAMDISK

12. loadlin won't mount initial ramdisk created with mkinitrd

13. Create a ramdisk as a non-root user - how?