Can't boot RedHat 4.2 from hardisk.

Post by Torben Je » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Problem:
After an apparently successful installation, the system refuses to
boot from the hard disk. The boot log indicates "scsi : 0 hosts", and
a little later a kernel panic occurs because the root file system
can't be mounted.

More info:
The system has 2 hd's + CD-ROM all on an Adaptec 1542-B IDE host
adapter. The 2 hard drives are on ID 0 and 1, the CD-ROM is on ID 2.

I have tried to pass the "basis=0x330" parameter to the scsi driver
during the setup (not using auto probe), but this made no difference.
The Adaptec is using IRQ=11, DMA=5, I/O 0x330-0x333, and the AHA BIOS
is enabled at 0xdc000. I believe these are the standard values here.

The system have previously worked with DOS, Win95, and FreeBSD 2.1.5.

Anyone got any ideas?
--
Torben Jero          |

www.image.dk/~tjero  | and determines what we can think about.

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. Problems: NetBSD and Macintosh IIcx

3. linux RedHat 4.2 can't find scsi on boot ??

4. STREAMS and ioctl

5. Redhat 4.2 - boot messages that I can't find references for

6. Linux on a Sun LX

7. RedHat 4.2 'rpm' whoo's

8. NYC LOCAL: Thursday 17 May 2001 UNIGROUP: Nick Carr of Mission Critical Linux on High Availability Fault Tolerant Clustering

9. Redhat 4.2 Install Help - I'm dyin' here!!!

10. Problem booting newly installed Redhat 4.2

11. Cannot boot from CD-ROM (RedHat 4.2/Sparc)

12. RedHat 4.2/Sparc cannot boot from cdrom

13. Backup solutions for dual boot NT 4.0/Linux Redhat 4.2