Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

Post by buutru.. » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:09:32

I installed Red Had 7.0 on a Dell 866 Mhz PC in the 3rd partition. The
first partition has Win2000 Professional, the second Partition had
Win2000 Advanced Server. The hard drive is a 20gig drive. When my PC
boots, the Win2000 boot menu comes up with only the Server and
Professional options. Can I change this to boot into Linux?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

Post by Frederik Himp » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 07:14:28

Quote:> I installed Red Had 7.0 on a Dell 866 Mhz PC in the 3rd partition. The
> first partition has Win2000 Professional, the second Partition had
> Win2000 Advanced Server. The hard drive is a 20gig drive. When my PC
> boots, the Win2000 boot menu comes up with only the Server and
> Professional options. Can I change this to boot into Linux?

You can find a complete guide for this in the Linux + NT Loader mini-howto.
You can find it on www.linuxdoc.org

Greetings,
Frederik

--
Frederik's Linux-Mandrake Experience Story
http://www.mandrakestory.cjb.net - http://how.to/mandrakestory

Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

Post by count_zer » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:51:52

Piece of cake.  Do the following:

To be able boot linux as one of the options you need to edit the boot.ini
file located in your Windows partition to point the way, as it were, to your
linux OS.

(I assume you created a boot disk for linux during linux installation) Boot
into linux with a boot disk created for the purpose.
In a terminal or console log in as root.
type in :

    dd if=/dev/hdax of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

including spaces

Where hdax is your linux partition (from what you wrote about your
partitioning it will probably be hda3.  This command will copy your boot
sector information from off you linux partition to a file located in the /
directory and name that file bootsect.lnx.  Copy this file to a DOS
formatted floppy with

    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
    copy /bootsect.lnx /mnt
    umount /mnt

Reboot your machine into Windows 2000 and copy the file bootsect.lnx from
the floppy to your C:\> root directory in Windows.  Then find and edit
boot.ini in Windows 2000 usually also located in the root directory. This is
roughly how the file looks before editing:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

Your version will probably refer to Windows 2000 not NT 4.  Add the
following line

    c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux "

Save the file.  When you reboot your machine, in addition to your normal
Windows 2000 boot options you will also have an option of Linux.

instructions in such a concise format.

> I installed Red Had 7.0 on a Dell 866 Mhz PC in the 3rd partition. The
> first partition has Win2000 Professional, the second Partition had
> Win2000 Advanced Server. The hard drive is a 20gig drive. When my PC
> boots, the Win2000 boot menu comes up with only the Server and
> Professional options. Can I change this to boot into Linux?

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

Post by Carl Pet » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:34:34

Have also done similar myself and it worked.  Thanks to all yooz for
your help on this stuff.

Next problem is that whilst NTLDR menu is nice I can't now reset the
default!  I've got the same sort of boot.ini you describe below but when
it runs it has another mysterious line that appears in the run-time menu
below all the others called "NT (default)" or somesuch which is *always*
the one highlighted, no matter waht I set the default= option to!  It
doesn't correspond to any of the lines in boot.ini as there are two
perfectly normal, bona-fide Windows NT 4.0 lines in there just like your
example below.  Final insult is that if I let this mysterious option run
it hangs with the error "following file is missing or corrupt
...\WINNT\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE" !!!  In order to make *anything* work I
have to quickly use the up arrows and select either Linux or one of the
bona fide Windows NT 4.0 entries which then work as expected.

Can anyone suggest what's going on and how to fix it so I can get back
to (at least) a default of Windows NT 4.0 !!