A couple of questions ...

Post by Sephrenia Vandre » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi There!

I was hoping that someone might be able to answer a couple of questions for
me (or point me
in the direction of the appropriate howto file).

I am running RedHat 5.1 on a 486 which is networked to a Pentium Pro 180
running Winblows 98.

    1.    I have my linux box automatically start XWindows on startup which
displays a login
          box (username and password) but has a gray background.  Is there
any way to display
          an image in place of the gray background?

    2.    Which file would I edit to change the default "home directory" for
the ftp daemon
          (ie. a directory other than /home/ftp).

Shanx,
      Sephrenia

A couple of questions ...

Post by Michael DiCucci » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I was hoping that someone might be able to answer a couple of questions for
> me (or point me
> in the direction of the appropriate howto file).

> I am running RedHat 5.1 on a 486 which is networked to a Pentium Pro 180
> running Winblows 98.

>     1.    I have my linux box automatically start XWindows on startup which
> displays a login
>           box (username and password) but has a gray background.  Is there
> any way to display
>           an image in place of the gray background?

>     2.    Which file would I edit to change the default "home directory" for
> the ftp daemon
>           (ie. a directory other than /home/ftp).

> Shanx,
>       Sephrenia

It sounds like you're using xdm.  xdm can be configured in manu ways
(see 'man xdm').  In essence, look in the directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm for the config files:

xdm-config contains a list of the actual configuration and setup files
to use.  This file also lists the files that contain the list of X
servers for given displays

On my setup, Xsetup_0 contains the actual config for the xdm login
window, i.e., what size login box is used, what colors are used, what
text to display, and what to put in the background.

The home directory for ftp (and all other "users", daemon or not) is
contained in /etc/passwd.  You can edit this by hand or you can use the
command usermod

Mike

A couple of questions ...

Post by Bob Tenne » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 >I am running RedHat 5.1 on a 486 which is networked to a Pentium Pro 180
 >running Winblows 98.
 >
 >    1.    I have my linux box automatically start XWindows on startup which
 >displays a login
 >          box (username and password) but has a gray background.  Is there
 >any way to display
 >          an image in place of the gray background?

The default display for xdm in RedHat is found in

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XBanner

Apparently you don't get this.  You'd better consult /usr/doc/xbanner..
to find out why.  Ther usual way to get an X-based login is to change
the default run-level in /etc/inittab.

 >    2.    Which file would I edit to change the default "home directory" for
 >the ftp daemon
 >          (ie. a directory other than /home/ftp).

/etc/passwd

Bob T.

A couple of questions ...

Post by Matthias Wark » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I don't know how to configure xdm (the display manager you are probably
using), but anyway: use kdm. The KDE display manager. It doesn't need
KDE, it just comes with it.
- it looks 25x better than xdm
- you can use any background you want
- it lets you select what session type (i.e. window manager) you want to
start up
- it shows a symbol for all the users you can login as, so you don't
have to enter your user name - just click :)
- biggest win: it's got a dialog box where you can shutdown or reboot
the system (of course you need a password, just as on the CLI, but you
don't need to type that damn "su -c '/sbin/shutdown -h now" each time)

mawa
--

1. couple of questions (well, more than a couple)

Hello, I have a few questions relating to Linux.

First off, i have a linux kernel version 1.0.9, and i would like to upgrade.
Is there a HOWTO out there describing how to do this, and where to get
patches to upgrade the kernel?  If not, could someone email me some
ftp addresses and some instructions?

Next, I connect to my SLIP account using dip.  Think is, dip dials
my modem using pulse tone.  Its not really a problem, but i was
wondering if theres a way to make it dial using touch tone.

And finally (for now :) I've heard of a new version of linux coming
out with some kind of xwindows thingy that allows you to run
MS windows apps in X.  Last I heard it was in alpha phase.  Has it
gotten out of alpha testing, and if so, does anybody know where
i can get it? (ftp or mail order software house)

Thanks.

--Tommy Vielkanowitz

2. Kernel Upgrade and ndiswrapper

3. ARMnote question & another couple of questions..

4. Admins and BS degrees

5. Couple of questions for the sages...

6. How can I kow if both of my 2 CPUs are working?

7. A couple of CDE questions

8. Comm: printing unique lines only

9. A couple of easy questions (SUMMARY)

10. couple of sco questions...

11. ppp: a couple of questions, if you please.

12. A couple of questions: Samba, Tripwire

13. couple of setup questions