Install linux on Windows NT4.0

Post by Stefa » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello

I have Windows NT 4.0, Windows95 and linux installed on my computer. I
use a Os loader by microsoft for Win95 and Win NT and boot linux with
a disk 1.44. I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

Thanks

Install linux on Windows NT4.0

Post by Matthew Fishe » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello

> I have Windows NT 4.0, Windows95 and linux installed on my computer. I
> use a Os loader by microsoft for Win95 and Win NT and boot linux with
> a disk 1.44. I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

No.  You must do a two-stage process.  When installing Linux, you
can/should
install lilo, the Linux Loader.  It is from here that you can either boot
Linux or DOS
(for the purposes of this example, I call your 95/NT boot sector DOS, but
you
can call it anything you want...).  Choosing to boot Linux from lilo will
begin
the Linux booting processes.  Choosing to boot 95/NT from lilo will put you
in the Microsoft OS loader where you must then choose 95 or NT (as you do
now).

-Matt

Install linux on Windows NT4.0

Post by caps » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

You can use lilo to boot from linux to your nt/95 system.  That seems to
be the easiest way i know of.  But there was a post on how to load up
linux through the bootloader.  But anyway. . if you want to use lilo
configure lilo with a linux and dos option and when you select the dos
option at the lilo prompt (this is after you have restarted your computer
after lilo configuration) and the NT loader will pop up and you can go on
as usual.

: Hello
:

Post by James De » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Hello

>I have Windows NT 4.0, Windows95 and linux installed on my computer. I
>use a Os loader by microsoft for Win95 and Win NT and boot linux with
>a disk 1.44. I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

>Thanks

Yep there sure is! I used it for a while! steps are as follows:

1. Re-Install LILO on the Superblock of your Root Linux partition
2. run dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/linux root/nt boot/bootbl.lin bs=512 count=1
(Substitute /dev/hda1 with your linux boot partition)
3. Re-Boot into 95' and edit your boot.ini file and add in the line:
        c:\bootbl.lin="Linux (whatever you want to call it"
4. Save and reboot, test it... WALLA!

Post by Ron Tarran » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hello

> I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

I sincerely doubt it. Microsoft thinks they're the only game in town.
It's our job to make sure it doesn't end up that way.

Post by Sean Damian Edmiso » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

> I sincerely doubt it. Microsoft thinks they're the only game in town.
> It's our job to make sure it doesn't end up that way.

That is an idiotically oversimplified position.

To boot Linux with NT's loader, check out my multiboot HOWTO:

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/directboot.html

--
Sean Damian Edmison

Post by Sean Damian Edmiso » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >Hello

> >I have Windows NT 4.0, Windows95 and linux installed on my computer. I
> >use a Os loader by microsoft for Win95 and Win NT and boot linux with
> >a disk 1.44. I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

> >Thanks

> Yep there sure is! I used it for a while! steps are as follows:

> 1. Re-Install LILO on the Superblock of your Root Linux partition
> 2. run dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/linux root/nt boot/bootbl.lin bs=512 count=1
> (Substitute /dev/hda1 with your linux boot partition)
> 3. Re-Boot into 95' and edit your boot.ini file and add in the line:
>         c:\bootbl.lin="Linux (whatever you want to call it"
> 4. Save and reboot, test it... WALLA!

For more information on this, check out my multiboot HOWTO:

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/directboot.html

--
Sean Damian Edmison

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/

All views expressed herein are mine alone, and do not
necessarily represent those of Microsoft.

Install linux on Windows NT4.0

Post by Luc Lalond » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I've done it with the information provided from this web page:

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/directboot.html

Give it a whirl...I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, Luc.

Post by Steve Sob » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: I've done it with the information provided from this web page:
: http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~sedmison/directboot.html

Ah, I've just *gotta* be difficult. :) I have my linux partition (hda2),
a swap partition (hda4) and my NT4 partition as the first (hda1). I know
that supposedly isn't advisable, but I didn't have a choice as I couldn't
move stuff around without a huge hassle. Now, my NT4 partition is formatted
NTFS and is compressed. (Actually, fdisk from Linux says "OS2 HPFS" -- are
they compatible??!!)

I tried dd, but since I have no way to mount my NTFS partition I dd'd
onto a file on a floppy and copied that to my NTFS partition. Didn't work:
Chose Linux from boot.ini and Lilo hung after just printing "LI".

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do, or will I have to continue
booting Linux off a floppy (or get an additional hard drive, make it
my primary, install Linux on it and boot NT off the other drive from
Lilo)?

--
  Steve Sobol    | New Age Consulting Service, Inc./Internet Service Provider
Technical Support| Modem: 216 619-2015 (Cuyahoga Co.), 951-8266 (Lake Co.)

Post by Gilles Vollan » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > I can use Os loader microsoft for boot Linux ??

Yes !
For multiboot Windows NT and Linux, I highly suggest you take a look at
BootPart.

You only run a command under Windows NT to add the Linux boot wt the
Windows NT boot loader menu ! So you'll have only one menu.

You can visit the BootPart home page at
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
and download it at ftp://ftp.winimage.com/bootpa20.zip (only 20215 bytes).