bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?

bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?

Post by Ron Peterso » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

When I try booting with the Linux 3.2 bootdisk scsi.s it says:

   boot:
   Uncompressing Linux...

     crc error

   System halted

Using the 3.4 scsi.s bootdisk it says the same except "crc error" is
replaced by "invalid compressed format".

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?  I've tried several floppy
disks so it wasn't a bad floppy and I wrote the disk from DOS (not
Win95) so that can't be it either.  The system is an Asus SP97-V
motherboard with 16M RAM, Intel P100 CPU, a cheap System Dynamics SCSI
controller, Maxtor SCSI drive and Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM.

     Ron

bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?

Post by JMckin20 » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>   boot:
>   Uncompressing Linux...

>     crc error

>   System halted

I was getting the same error after finally getting  a successful RH5 install.
I worked around it by disabling the "external cache" in cmos.  I think it had
something to do with why the installation failed so many times.  If anybody
knows more about this I would be anxious to hear about it.

I have a P166, 32M Ram, and an IDE hard drive.