RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by p » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi all:

I'm having no luck with redhat 5.2. Below are the install methods I've
tried. If you can help me with *any* of the methods I'd appreciate it.

SUMMARY: RedHat Linux 5.2, i386 subtree downloaded via ftp, built iso
image with mkisofs (win32 port), then burned to cd with Easy CD
Creator 3.5a.

Scenario 1: Boot from cd / Load from cd

I downloaded the entire i386 structure off of a redhat mirror (skipped
all the symbolic links) and placed it all on my hard drive. Then using
a win32 port of mkisofs, built a bootable iso image with the following
command line:

mkisofs -a -b images/boot.img -c images/boot.catalog -r -V REDHAT52
-o f:/temp/rh.iso .

Then I used Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.5a to open the iso file and burn
it to cd. All went well.

The cd boots great. When I hit <Enter> at the boot: prompt, the
install proceeds through the first few screens. When I get to the
screen that asks what my source type will be, I select "Local CDROM".
I am then asked to insert the cd into the drive. It's already in the
drive (it's the cd I just booted off of), so I just hit OK.

Then I get "Initializing cd", then the message disappears, I can see
and hear the cd spin-up in the drive, but nothing else happens. The
cursor just sits flashing at the lower left of the blue screen.
Eventually the cd spins down, and the system is basically hung.
Actually I can type at the cursor, but, that doesn't do me any good.

FWIT, I've also tried creating the ISO image by adding the -J and -T
switches (Joliet support, and translation tables, respecitively) but
that renders the cd unbootable on my system.

Scenario 2: Boot from floppy / Load from cd

Same cd as in Scenario 1. Rather than boot off the cd-rom though, I
boot with the created floppy, then tell the install to run off the
burned cdrom. This time, when the "initializing cd" message appears, I
get something like "failed to mount cd; invalid argument".

[Which reminds me: Is there a way to either pause or output the boot
info to a file for later perusal? I'm referring to the screenful of
text that appears after one passes the boot: prompt.]

Scenario 3: Boot from floppy / Load from hard drive

I've given up on trying to load from the cd. So I try to just run with
the source files on my c: drive (FAT). After booting with the boot and
supp disks, I specify the path to the source files, and get a message
something like "failed to open files". Sorry, I should have written
that one down. Note that if I specify a different source path, I get a
completely different message (something like "does not appear to
contain a valid RedHat directory"). I've experimented with different
directory names for the root dir, but no change.

I suspect the prob here may be that all the filenames are truncated
under dos, although I understood that the redhat installer didn't care
about the filenames of the rpms.

Big thanks to anyone who wants to take a stab at this.

-Pete*son

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by Chrono » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am experiencing a similar problem, i borrowed the redhat 5.0 cd off a
friend then burned me a copy (with Easy CD creator Deluxe) and then i chose
"Local CD-ROM" and it tells me that its not a redhat cd

wierd

sorry to be no help :)
Justin

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by Remi Benois » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I think the files lost the CAPS information wich are VITAL for any Unix
system...
Peace.

>I am experiencing a similar problem, i borrowed the redhat 5.0 cd off a
>friend then burned me a copy (with Easy CD creator Deluxe) and then i chose
>"Local CD-ROM" and it tells me that its not a redhat cd

>wierd

>sorry to be no help :)
>Justin

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by i dont kno » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

First of all, most of what i know about this i have gotten from
http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html .  An excellent site for
burning installable redhat cd's and doing HD installs from FAT32
partitions.

pI downloaded the entire i386 structure off of a redhat mirror (skipped

Quote:> all the symbolic links) and placed it all on my hard drive.

Did u say u skipped the symbolic links?? even the ones below the
../RedHat directory?  U need those.  Specifically 2 directories under
RedHat have links.  Both are in the instimage directory.  If you are
going to do a hard drive install you have to have them(the instimage dir
is not needed for CDROM.)   I wrote a detailed email explaining what they
are/how to get them ill email to you directly if u want ( if anyone wants
it lemme know)

Quote:> Then I get "Initializing cd", then the message disappears, I can see
> and hear the cd spin-up in the drive, but nothing else happens. The
> cursor just sits flashing at the lower left of the blue screen.
> Eventually the cd spins down, and the system is basically hung.
> Actually I can type at the cursor, but, that doesn't do me any good.

This exact thing happened to me with 5.1 and 5.2.  There were two
different problems, the first were bad floppies.  I doubt this is true in
your case.  So when i was able to successfully install from HD i worked
on getting installed from cdrom.  I used the same iso image from mkisofs
and used easy CD creator.  I had a few probs and basically everything
ended up being due to case mismatches.  The case has to be exactly, as
does the directory structure.  In the root dir of the cd has to be
RedHat.  Exactly like that.  Under that has to be base and RPMS.  Of
course win95 doesnt show u proper case, so to see it open a DOS box and
CD to every directory manually.  Doing a DIR will just show all
uppercase.  Now i have flawless installations from both FAT32 HD's and by
CDR.

If you still have probs, when u get to the point where it acts like a
dead terminal, do a 'ALT+F2' and/or 'ALT+F3' and notice the messages
towards the end.  They should give u some insight of why it stopped.
That is totally typical of not finding the file/directory it is looking
for.

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by i dont kno » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I am experiencing a similar problem, i borrowed the redhat 5.0 cd off a
> friend then burned me a copy (with Easy CD creator Deluxe) and then i chose
> "Local CD-ROM" and it tells me that its not a redhat cd

> wierd

> sorry to be no help :)
> Justin

in this case, easy cd creator has some bugs in it onl noticable from linux
filesystems (im bugging them to help me find a way to disable these) you
should make an iso image of the cd first then burn it....read how here...
 http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> First of all, most of what i know about this i have gotten from
> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html .  An excellent site for
> burning installable redhat cd's and doing HD installs from FAT32
> partitions.

Thanks.  Now I don't have to post the URL again.  ;-)

Quote:> pI downloaded the entire i386 structure off of a redhat mirror (skipped

>> all the symbolic links) and placed it all on my hard drive.

> Did u say u skipped the symbolic links?? even the ones below the
> ../RedHat directory?  U need those.  Specifically 2 directories under
> RedHat have links.  Both are in the instimage directory.  If you are
> going to do a hard drive install you have to have them(the instimage dir
> is not needed for CDROM.)

Actually, this is backwards.  The RedHat/instimage directory tree is
required for a CD-ROM install, but is not required for a FAT install.
(These files are what go on the second Red Hat floppy, supp.img.)

You're quite correct in saying that the symbolic links are required,
though, and that's probably why the original poster's CD install failed.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am experiencing a similar problem, i borrowed the redhat 5.0 cd off a
> friend then burned me a copy (with Easy CD creator Deluxe) and then i chose
> "Local CD-ROM" and it tells me that its not a redhat cd

You probably did a file-by-file copy and lost the Rock Ridge extensions,
which Red Hat requires for installation.  Try using the CD copier utility,
which in Easy CD Creator 3.00 and 3.01, at least, is a separate program
from the main program.  That SHOULD correctly copy a Red Hat CD, though
I've never actually tried it.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

Post by Jim Gallaghe » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem. I finally solved it by building the iso image on a
different linux machine to preserve case and links. I'm sure this doesn't
help if you don't have some type of linux/unix machine available.

1. HELP iso image burning to cd and making it bootable HELP

       Can you help me!!!! I just downloaded mandrake linux as an .iso image
i then ran it through easy cd and picked make from iso image..... However I
been reading that it must be bootable or somthing. How is a cd bootable adn
how do i make it bootable. I dont see any .exe or install programs in the
file folders so i guess it does need to be bootable. Is there a floppy to
make so that the floppy is bootable I know nt comes that
way...................

2. Dual booting NT and Solaris

3. Announcement: Red Hat 5.2 ISO Image ~500MB ready to download and burn

4. clearmake

5. Burning an ISO into a bootable CD and mp3's to music CD's.

6. Problem that causes window crash

7. Burning a bootable ISO image

8. Problem with rlogin

9. burning the linuxppc iso image with a windows machine: bootable?

10. Can I install Redhat using ISO images but booting from the CD?

11. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

12. Burning .iso CD-Images with Toast?

13. How to burn .iso image to cd