ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Stephan F. J » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Karim:

>Re: Printing problems.

>Greetings,

>I have setup all the necessary file permissions, files which the
>spool needs, and edited the printcap. When I issue the 'lpr'
>command; file inclusive, the printer becomes active but no characters
>appear on the sheet just 'ejected' from the printer; just a plain
>sheet.

>Someone mentioned that the input filter may be the problem. So,
>I deleted the printcap entry ':if=...'. Yet, the problem still
>persisted.

>I have even issued the command 'ls -l > /dev/lp1'; same problem.

>Could the problem be the file and/or directory permissions? Any
>information will be appreciated...

If "ls -l > /dev/lp1" doesn't work, then you can eliminate anything related
to the spooling mechanism and file permissions!  There is something not
working between Linux and the printer:  For some reason, your printer is not
printing out plain ASCII that is being sent to it.

Here are a couple things you should check for:

- Is your printer set up to print ASCII?  Some printers, especially PostScript
  printers, have to have an option turned on from their menu to let them
  autosense between plain ASCII and PostScript files and react accordingly.
  To check this, try "copy autoexec.bat lpt1:" from DOS and see if the ASCII
  file prints correctly.  If it doesn't, then that's probably your problem.

- Are you using polling or interrupts to print?  If you are using interrupts,
  are they correct?  The command "tunelp" under Linux will let you set these.
  In general, polling tends to be the more conservative method (works with
  most printer setups) than interrupts, but interrupts are more efficient.

StEpHaN!
--
Stephan Jou            | "The best thing for being sad," replied Merlyn,

ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Wim Vandeput » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I have setup all the necessary file permissions, files which the
: spool needs, and edited the printcap. When I issue the 'lpr'
: command; file inclusive, the printer becomes active but no characters
: appear on the sheet just 'ejected' from the printer; just a plain
: sheet.

:  * HP LaserJet 4L

if you have a postscript printer, try putting your ascii text through some
ascii 2 ps filter. ap2s is one

#!/bin/sh
#

/usr/local/bin/a2ps -1 -nL -ns -nc -p $* | lpr

ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Quaking Ci » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: if you have a postscript printer, try putting your ascii text through some
: ascii 2 ps filter. ap2s is one

        How about a Canon BJC-4000, a bubble jet printer? Can I print postscript
        file to it? Which filter must I use?

Charles

ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Wim Vandeput » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:
: : if you have a postscript printer, try putting your ascii text through some
: : ascii 2 ps filter. ap2s is one
:
:       How about a Canon BJC-4000, a bubble jet printer? Can I print postscript
:       file to it? Which filter must I use?

In order to print ps files on any other device, you should use ghostscript to
convert the ps to e.g. eps format.

man gs

ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Juergen Exn » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

->   In order to print ps files on any other device, you should use ghostscript to
->   convert the ps to e.g. eps format.

Well, nearly right.
Ghostscript will convert to several native printer bitmap formats,
not to encapsulated postscript.

jue

ASCII printing using 'lpr'

Post by Tunnel Visio » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> In your posting your mentioned "eps", which is the "official"
> abbreviation for "Encapsulated PostScript".
> Therefore my answer.

> No intention to flame you anyway :-)

oops :-) I meant to refer to 'epson printing bitmap stuff'

Wim Vandeputte, Tunnel Vision and the scars to prove it

The voices inside your head
Keep telling you to prepare

1. printing postscript using 'LPR'

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here ?

I am unable to print postscript files to my printer when using
the 'LPR' command either at the shell prompt or from within a
program such as Netscape, Mosaic, or Ghostview. I have been able
to get 'GS' to convert a postscript file to a format my printer
understands. By using a command such as:

 'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'

 And I can print it. BUT ONLY if I log in as ROOT and use the
command:

'cat FILENAME > /dev/lp0'

If I try to print a postscript file or a converted file using
'LPR' or the above mentioned programs the output is just codes
and not a graphic. In my 'printcap' I do have a reference to an
input filter. The filter is:

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=-'

But 'LPR' just prints the codes ! Even on a converted file !

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

2. Imagemaps

3. Printer configured but won't print using lpr

4. Ensoniq Soundscape VIVO90 PnP

5. Can't print using lpr!

6. kdm, SB 128 PCI, tar, PINE

7. printing postscript with 'LPR'

8. Financial Programs for ALpha

9. Printing problems- Can't print plain ascii

10. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

11. Using a variable w/the awk '{print $}' command

12. Printing from AUC-TeX and Gnu emacs using Solaris' SunSoft Print Client

13. HP Deskjet won't print ASCII