connect to at&t worldnet with linux?

Post by kl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am using at&t worldnet as my isp. recently i installed red hat on my pc
and i am trying to set up ppp to at&t worldnet. i used kppp. i set the
authentication as terminal-based to see what the prompt is. after the the
window pops up, i got a 'please sing on:' prompt, after i enter the user id

didn't pop up any prompt for password, instead i got a bunch of junk
strings, and pppd couldn't start? anybody can help me?

thanks in advance.

kl

connect to at&t worldnet with linux?

Post by Richard Piotrowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

to at&t worldnet with linux?:

Quote:> I am using at&t worldnet as my isp. recently i installed red hat on my
pc
> and i am trying to set up ppp to at&t worldnet. i used kppp. i set the
> authentication as terminal-based to see what the prompt is. after the
the
> window pops up, i got a 'please sing on:' prompt, after i enter the
user id
> (i got it from my isp, it's in the format of

Quote:> didn't pop up any prompt for password, instead i got a bunch of junk
> strings, and pppd couldn't start? anybody can help me?
> thanks in advance.
> kl

kl,

Use "PAP" authentication! It's been a while since I set it up but
I believe it was pretty easy. If you are using KPPP make sure your
/etc/ppp/options file is empty and in KPPP your ppd arguments should
be only "defaultroute". At least it worked for me. YMMV.

Rich Piotrowski

Post by Alex Flinsc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Use "PAP" authentication! It's been a while since I set it up but
> I believe it was pretty easy. If you are using KPPP make sure your
> /etc/ppp/options file is empty and in KPPP your ppd arguments should
> be only "defaultroute". At least it worked for me. YMMV.

Actually ATT Worldnet uses CHAP, not PAP.
Checkout the info on WURD

Worldnet via kppp
http://www.wurd.com/wurd/software/dialers/linux_kppp.htm

Generic Linux Script
http://www.wurd.com/wurd/software/dialers/linux.html

connect to at&t worldnet with linux?

Post by John Hanaga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

ALSO:  be aware that the userid and password are NOT your mail id and
password.  Look at the information file as instructed in WURD, and use the
userid (all numbers) and password present there.

> > Use "PAP" authentication! It's been a while since I set it up but

> Actually ATT Worldnet uses CHAP, not PAP.
> Checkout the info on WURD

1. Connecting to AT&T Worldnet

Hi!  Has anyone succeeded in connecting to AT&T Worldnet using a ppp
dialup connection?  If so I'd very much like to learn how it's done.  My
chat scripts keep failing because worldnet says my user ID and password
don't match - even though I'm using the same strings which I input to my
Windows 95 dialer.  The tech support people at AT&T Worldnet don't seem
to know what UNIX is (how's that for beautiful irony ;-)...) so I'm
hoping a fellow Linux hacker may have cracked the secret of getting them
to recognize your login from something other than Win95's dialer.

This is my first news posting using the Win95 inet S/W so just in case
it's brain dead and doesn't give my email address, I can be reached at

2. SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

3. Connecting to AT&T Worldnet?

4. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 19 September NYLUG Stammtisch at the Typhoon Brewery

5. Connecting to AT&T Worldnet

6. Urgent : PPP fiasco with 2.4.10

7. pppd hangs when connecting to AT&T Worldnet... ideas?

8. Need help getting Intel Etherexpress 16/pro to work!

9. How do I use diald to connect to AT&T Worldnet

10. Chat script to connect to AT&T Worldnet almost working (drops connection)

11. I have AT&T Worldnet & Linux working!

12. AT&T Worldnet & Linux - another try.

13. Linux & AT&T Worldnet