Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by David W.E. Robert » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:57:45



Have checked the Linux website and this card appears to be 'green' for
compatibility - anyone else had problems?



Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying my first Linux install on an Intel PC, and am trying to install
> RedHat 7.1 on a Gateway P120 with a Matrox Millenium graphics card.

> First time - no graphics display.

> Looked up the troubleshooting and booted 'lowres',
> This booted up into the graphics but it froze whilst I was configuring the
> mouse.
> I assumed this was a problem with my Logitech Marble Mouse and swapped it
> for a Microsoft Mouse.
> Next two boots also froze, one at roughly the same point and the next at
the
> language selection screen.
> I assume this rules out mouse problems.

> I booted 'nofb' but the display still freezes early in the installation.

> Is this a known problem?

> Does this mean my Matrox Millenium is no good for Linux?

> Do I have any option other than a command line install?

> TIA

> Dave R
> --

 
 
 

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by David W.E. Robert » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:50:52


Hmmmm......dumb bunny moment!
Thought I would confirm I had the latest BIOS, and so downloaded the Matrox
Unified BIOS and utilities.
When I updated the BIOS it went from 1.5 to 3.0 (lack of system maintenance
there) and now everything seems to be working O.K.

However this did highlight one thing - system maintenance for cards etc.
Matrox do not support Linux et. al. and so their utilities run under DOS.
I tried various boot discs I dug out of the cupboard, but had no luck.

Firing up NT4 (the system I am replacing) didn't help - the utilities did
not work under the command prompt.
In desperation I fired up a Windows '95 partition which hasn't been used for
several years.
Under this, the utilities worked and fixed the problem.
However this implies that Linux systems need a DOS/Windows '95/'98
maintenance environment to manage the hardware.

AFAIK you just can't get DOS any more, and the latest Windows O/S (XP) is
derived from NT/Win2k instead of the long string of DOS based '95/'98/ME
systems.

I was planning to completely wipe my system - I haven't used it in anger for
some time as I have an ME and a Win2k system. Now I wonder if I should set
it up as dual boot so that I have a maintenance environment.

How does everyone else maintain older x86 systems which need to run DOS
utilities to upgrade firmware? Is there a DOS environment available within
Linux?

Cheers

Dave R



> Have checked the Linux website and this card appears to be 'green' for
> compatibility - anyone else had problems?



> > Hi,

> > I'm trying my first Linux install on an Intel PC, and am trying to
install
> > RedHat 7.1 on a Gateway P120 with a Matrox Millenium graphics card.

> > First time - no graphics display.

> > Looked up the troubleshooting and booted 'lowres',
> > This booted up into the graphics but it froze whilst I was configuring
the
> > mouse.
> > I assumed this was a problem with my Logitech Marble Mouse and swapped
it
> > for a Microsoft Mouse.
> > Next two boots also froze, one at roughly the same point and the next at
> the
> > language selection screen.
> > I assume this rules out mouse problems.

> > I booted 'nofb' but the display still freezes early in the installation.

> > Is this a known problem?

> > Does this mean my Matrox Millenium is no good for Linux?

> > Do I have any option other than a command line install?

> > TIA

> > Dave R
> > --


 
 
 

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:05:00



Quote:> However this did highlight one thing - system maintenance for cards etc.
> Matrox do not support Linux et. al. and so their utilities run under DOS.

Matrox support linux very heaviliy, and always have. They cooperate
fully with the XFree86 people.

Quote:> How does everyone else maintain older x86 systems which need to run DOS
> utilities to upgrade firmware? Is there a DOS environment available within

You don't need to. There is a freedos you know!

Peter

 
 
 

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by David W.E. Robert » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:48:31


Peter,

from http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/home.cfm
"Matrox provides links to third-party drivers, including Linux drivers,
Solaris X86, BeOS drivers, and Chinese Windows drivers. Please note that
Matrox does not provide technical support for 3rd- party drivers.
       "
      also they only list Windows(ish) drivers on their support site (as far
as I can see).
      http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/unified/home.cfm lists
unified drivers for Win variants plus OS/2

      From this I concluded that they do not provide Linux drivers
themselves.
      They may well support third parties in their production of Linux
drivers but don't supply them directly.
      Their BIOS update only runs under DOS as far as I can tell.

      Thanks for the note of freedos.

      Dave R




> > However this did highlight one thing - system maintenance for cards etc.
> > Matrox do not support Linux et. al. and so their utilities run under
DOS.

> Matrox support linux very heaviliy, and always have. They cooperate
> fully with the XFree86 people.

> > How does everyone else maintain older x86 systems which need to run DOS
> > utilities to upgrade firmware? Is there a DOS environment available
within

> You don't need to. There is a freedos you know!

> Peter

 
 
 

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:29:59



In the WRONG place! FIXED! PLEASE do NOT TOP-POST!




>> > However this did highlight one thing - system maintenance for cards etc.
>> > Matrox do not support Linux et. al. and so their utilities run under DOS.

>> Matrox support linux very heaviliy, and always have. They cooperate
>> fully with the XFree86 people.
> from http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/home.cfm
> "Matrox provides links to third-party drivers, including Linux drivers,
> Solaris X86, BeOS drivers, and Chinese Windows drivers. Please note that
> Matrox does not provide technical support for 3rd- party drivers.

Yes. So? Why would you expect them to and what would you want them to
for? Are you suggesting that they know XF86 better than its authors.
What they do is provide the developer with the specs and all the
cooperation they need. Nearly every single XFree86 developer uses a
matrox card (as the legend goes).

Quote:>> > How does everyone else maintain older x86 systems which need to run DOS
>> > utilities to upgrade firmware? Is there a DOS environment available within

>> You don't need to. There is a freedos you know!

>        "
>       also they only list Windows(ish) drivers on their support site (as far as I can see).

So F'ing WHAT? Are you brainwashed by the windows model of doing things
or something? Get the idea! The drivers are written by the XFree86
team, with cooperation from matrox. Not BY matrox with cooperation from
XF86! The drivers are completely open source.sj

Quote:>       From this I concluded that they do not provide Linux drivers
> themselves.

And you would be correct. So? Why should you expect them to?

Peter

 
 
 

Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

Post by David W.E. Robert » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:09:37


Peter,

go out a bit more.
Enjoy the nice weather.
Smell the flowers.
Chill out.
Get a life.

Hoping you are better soon.
Dave R




> In the WRONG place! FIXED! PLEASE do NOT TOP-POST!




> >> > However this did highlight one thing - system maintenance for cards
etc.
> >> > Matrox do not support Linux et. al. and so their utilities run under
DOS.

> >> Matrox support linux very heaviliy, and always have. They cooperate
> >> fully with the XFree86 people.

> > from http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/home.cfm
> > "Matrox provides links to third-party drivers, including Linux drivers,
> > Solaris X86, BeOS drivers, and Chinese Windows drivers. Please note that
> > Matrox does not provide technical support for 3rd- party drivers.

> Yes. So? Why would you expect them to and what would you want them to
> for? Are you suggesting that they know XF86 better than its authors.
> What they do is provide the developer with the specs and all the
> cooperation they need. Nearly every single XFree86 developer uses a
> matrox card (as the legend goes).

> >> > How does everyone else maintain older x86 systems which need to run
DOS
> >> > utilities to upgrade firmware? Is there a DOS environment available
within

> >> You don't need to. There is a freedos you know!

> >        "
> >       also they only list Windows(ish) drivers on their support site (as
far as I can see).

> So F'ing WHAT? Are you brainwashed by the windows model of doing things
> or something? Get the idea! The drivers are written by the XFree86
> team, with cooperation from matrox. Not BY matrox with cooperation from
> XF86! The drivers are completely open source.sj

> >       From this I concluded that they do not provide Linux drivers
> > themselves.

> And you would be correct. So? Why should you expect them to?

> Peter