Does CERN's httpd cause crashes?

Post by MICHAE » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying to find a very annoying bug with my Linux 1.2.12
system. If anybody has any ideas, I would be greatful.

First it started with 1.1.59. I would get kernel panics -- usually at
least once a day, sometimes more. (Running from the DOS partition never
causes a problem, so I didn't suspect hardware problems.)

It was suggested that I upgrade the kernel, so I compiled a 1.2.12
kernel. But strange conditions still persisted -- sometimes kernel
panics, sometimes "general protection" errors, sometimes an error about
making swap pages, etc.

Naturally all errors occurred while I was out of the house, so I
couldn't restart things again.

Well, I noticed that CERN httpd logs looked a bit strange - I would
never see *today's* log for one thing. So I was wondering if maybe httpd
was the cause of the problem. I removed httpd from rc.local (and moved
my web server to MacHTTP temporarily).

Linux has now been running 48 hours without a single error.

Is httpd a problem on Linux? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

MICHAEL
GNJ Spectrum, Tokyo

Does CERN's httpd cause crashes?

Post by joost witteveen,20.34 00.08 00.13; phone 5483 54 » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I have been trying to find a very annoying bug with my Linux 1.2.12
>system. If anybody has any ideas, I would be greatful.

>First it started with 1.1.59. I would get kernel panics -- usually at
>least once a day, sometimes more. (Running from the DOS partition never
>causes a problem, so I didn't suspect hardware problems.)

>It was suggested that I upgrade the kernel, so I compiled a 1.2.12
>kernel.

When I upgraded from 1.1.57 to 1.2.8, everything seemed a LOT more stable.
maybe this upgrade was a good idea.

Quote:>But strange conditions still persisted -- sometimes kernel
>panics, sometimes "general protection" errors, sometimes an error about
>making swap pages, etc.

>Well, I noticed that CERN httpd logs looked a bit strange - I would
>never see *today's* log for one thing. So I was wondering if maybe httpd
>was the cause of the problem. I removed httpd from rc.local
>Linux has now been running 48 hours without a single error.

I have been running CERN httpd for over half a year now, and regularly
have uptimes of 30 days or more. I never noticed CERN httpd causing
any troubles. I do have had one or 2 kernel panics in this half a
year, but never related to CERN httpd.

My version:
This is CERN-HTTPD, version 3.0, using libwww version 2.17
(maybe this old version is more stable?)

1. CERN ftp server can't open PASV for CERN httpd 3.0

    Hello

    Could you help me ?
  I am running CERN proxy httpd 3.0 libwww 2.17 on IRIX 4.0.5.
  When I attempt to retrive files from cern ftp ftp://ftp.w3.org/pub/src/
  using Mosaic   I get the message "530 Can't open passive connection".
  But from other ftp servers, for example ftp://ftp.telebit.com I don't
  get such a message and everything is OK. May be I have configured my
  httpd.conf not correctly ? Or something else ?

   Regards

|                                                                 |
| St. Petersburg's                   http://www.pnpi.spb.ru/      |
| Nuclear Phisics Institute                                       |
| Russia                                                          |

2. SoundBlaster

3. CERN 'Protection' in httpd.conf: question

4. No Carrier msg in minicom

5. CERN httpd: Suppressing CERN Reference on authorization failures

6. How to boot straight into ARC mode

7. cern-httpd - proxy-cache - httpd.conf WANTED ???!!!

8. ed0 PCI Setup

9. translator from CERN httpd configuration rules to Apache httpd conf?

10. CERN HTTPD 3.0 or NCSA HTTPD 1.3?

11. Compiling Cern's httpd 1.3

12. imagemap for CERN's httpd

13. HELP My CERN httpd doesn't accept POST!!!