Is Newcom Internal Data Fax/Modem supported by RH 5.0?

Is Newcom Internal Data Fax/Modem supported by RH 5.0?

Post by Lingchong Yo » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,
I'm considering buying an internal modem to replace the winmodem in my
computer.
I wonder is the type mentioned in the subject supported by Linux?

Thansks for any suggestion! Iwould appreciate it more if you reply
directly to me.

--
---------------------------------------
Lingchong  You

Research Assistant
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Tel: 608/238-6146(H)
     608/262-8450(O)

---------------------------------------

Is Newcom Internal Data Fax/Modem supported by RH 5.0?

Post by Chris Thay » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

wrote

Quote:>I wonder is the type mentioned in the subject supported by Linux?

Yes. I run RH 5.1 with a Newcom 33600ifx.

Is Newcom Internal Data Fax/Modem supported by RH 5.0?

Post by Kevin Thorl » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Maybe you can help then.  I have the same modem.  Under Win95, its on
Com 1.  Its set up in PnP mode (jumpers 1-10 are set).  When I try to
access it in Linux, I get the following message:

        /dev/modem Operation not supported by device

        I'm fairly new to Linux, so i have no idea what this means.
Any help?

Kevin Thorley