display problem with ssh

Post by Felmon John Davi » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 07:19:48

Greetings!

Logging into my home machine via ssh, I can usually run kde or gnome
programs and see the display on my office machine.

I made some changes while at home which, I believe, have changed the
display setting so I can't get a remote display. I can quite figure the
path back.

Essentially, while at the home machine, I did 'xhost localhost' and then
su to root. While root I did 'export DISPLAY=:0' which allows me to see
some GUI stuff while root. I'm guessing, but it also interferes with my
ssh remote display.

I'm not sure what values to set DISPLAY to in order to get remote X
again.

I am running a firewall but that's not a factor in this problem, I think,
since I was ssh'ing along before with the firewall up.

The home machine is SUSE 7.2 running KDE2.x while the office machine is
RH 7.2, KDE 2.x.

Felmon

display problem with ssh

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:35:55

Hi,

Felmon John Davis wrote Freitag, 14. Dezember 2001 23:19:

Quote:> Greetings!

> Logging into my home machine via ssh, I can usually run kde or gnome
> programs and see the display on my office machine.

> I made some changes while at home which, I believe, have changed the
> display setting so I can't get a remote display.

the DISPLAY variable is adjusted by ssh deamon for the login environment.

Quote:> I can quite figure the
> path back.

> Essentially, while at the home machine, I did 'xhost localhost'

This only opens te X-server for the mashine reffered to as "localhost" wich
by convention is allways the mashine you'r toutching.

you also have to open it using <xhost> command and giving it the name or
better the ip-address of the remote host.

Quote:> [...]

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

1. RedHat Linux - ssh - screen display problem

I have installed RHEL 3 on a Compaq Server with 4 CPUs and 4GB RAM. My
problem is that commands like tar and unzip  take forever. After a log
of troubleshooting I found out that the problem is with ssh and not
with tar or unzip. It seems as if the screen takes forever to dislpay
the contents being pushed out by the server. When I perform a "ls -ltRa
/" it goes on forever.

To ensure I am on the right track I installed a telnet server and
retried the above commands - they completed in record time !!

Has anyone come across this problem and knows of a solution.

PS : I am using WinPutty to access the Linux box.

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 4)
# uname -r
2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
# rpm -qa | egrep "tar|unzip"
setarch-1.3-1
star-1.5a08-4
unzip-5.50-34
tar-1.13.25-13

# rpm -qa | grep -i ssh
openssh-3.6.1p2-33.30.3
openssh-server-3.6.1p2-33.30.3
openssh-clients-3.6.1p2-33.30.3

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain some_domain.net
search some_domain.net
nameserver some_ip
nameserver some_ip

2. Unable to print from KDE (only)

3. can ssh-agent work between ssh-2.3 and ssh-3.5

4. migrating issue ( SUNOS to SOLARIS)

5. SSH client disconnects when performing certain commandline utilities (AIX 4.3.3) - SSH of Firewall problem ?

6. Preparing to Administer AIX

7. Problem with ssh-agent and ssh-add

8. Setup of a Python tape drive in a Dell 2450 poweredge

9. SSH - make-ssh-known-hosts nslookup problem

10. SSH-1.x for HPUX 10.20 & SSH-2 for RedHat, Digital Unix PROBLEM, HELP please !

11. ThinkNIC: ssh not setting $DISPLAY ?

12. Export display to Windows 2000 via ssh doesnt work

13. Exporting display using ssh