Two Hard Drives-No floppy HOW??

Post by LJD » Mon, 27 May 2002 04:44:30

I have a dell laptop.  I have a choice of either a second hard drive or a
floppy.  Only one can be in at a time.  I want to install redhat 7.3 on the
second hard drive.  The first hard drive is a windows
2000 system.

Problem is that I cannot create a "boot" floppy cuz I can't have the floppy
in during the install of RH7.3.

Can someone shed some light, or point me to a site that will let me get
around this!

Larry

Two Hard Drives-No floppy HOW??

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Mon, 27 May 2002 05:37:55

What about booting from CD-ROM?
--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

Two Hard Drives-No floppy HOW??

Post by LJD » Mon, 27 May 2002 07:03:11

Quote:> What about booting from CD-ROM?

I can boot and install from my redhat CD rom, but how do I then boot my
Linux installation from the cdrom?

Larry

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Mon, 27 May 2002 07:42:52

LJD wrote Sonntag, 26. Mai 2002 00:03:

>> What about booting from CD-ROM?

> I can boot and install from my redhat CD rom, but how do I then boot my
> Linux installation from the cdrom?

I'm not sure if I understud this, but you do not.

I assume you boot the RedHat installation from CD an installed it on the
2nd HD not having a floppy present.

You've 2 chioces:

1.
have the RedHat-installer insall LILO on the MBR of the first HD. The
installer should have included the Win2000 Installation in the LILO menu.
If not: "man lilo.conf" would show you how to do it. Now yo see LILO menu
first to choose Linux or w2k and the w2k boot menu aferwards (if you see it
at all).

2.
place LILO on MBR of 2nd hd (the one you installed RedHat on).

Mount the Win2000 partition (eg. mount /dev/hda1 -t ntfs /mnt)
Baybe you need to add ntfs-support to your kernel. building it as a module
and using "instmod" should do it without reboot...

copy MBR 2nd hd to a file on the Win2000 patition
(dd if=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/bootsect.lin
be carefull, read "man dd"!)

edit boot.ini of W2k:
add entry
c:\bootsect.lin="Linux"

make sure that "timeout" is greater zero ;o)

As you have to redo lilo at every change of the Linux kernel you'd also
need to re-copy the MBR in this case.

Quote:

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

Post by Bruce Burhan » Mon, 27 May 2002 07:44:18

> > What about booting from CD-ROM?

> I can boot and install from my redhat CD rom, but how do I then boot my
> Linux installation from the cdrom?

              Perhaps you could dd the boot floppy image
to your home directory then to a CD....

        dd if=[pathname of bootfloppy image on your installation CD]
of=/home/bf  bs=8192

        Find the pathname of your bootfloppy image with
Windoze, then pass on making a boot floppy and do this
job seperately.

        Then put in another CD, blank, and do

    dd if=/home/bf of=/dev/cdrom bs=8192

Do not mount the CD first.

    And run this by a guru before trying....

Bruce<+>

Quote:> Larry

Two Hard Drives-No floppy HOW??

Post by Bruce Burhan » Mon, 27 May 2002 08:53:21

Quote:> I have a dell laptop.  I have a choice of either a second hard drive or a
> floppy.  Only one can be in at a time.  I want to install redhat 7.3 on
the
> second hard drive.  The first hard drive is a windows
> 2000 system.

> Problem is that I cannot create a "boot" floppy cuz I can't have the
floppy
> in during the install of RH7.3.

> Can someone shed some light, or point me to a site that will let me get
> around this!

> Larry

     P.S.       I was looking over my boot floppy image,
and there's a little one-line configuration file there, that
gives the rdev info, and some other stuff. I don't know
at which point in the installation that this is created, but
it might not be until you select to have a boot floppy
 made........... Check the image with Linux to be sure....
                    Or maybe you could dump the image
directly into your home directory instead of fd0?

Bruce<+>

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. mgetty on openbsd 2.9

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. Any known graphical newstool?

5. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

6. mach8 server: blank screen

7. can't mount hard second hard drive

8. How can I mirror two hard drives in two different machines?

9. Two OS, two hard drives, one computer

10. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

11. tape drive & second hard drive

12. Adding a Tape Drive or Second Hard Drive