LINUX on SUN 3/50 (3/60)?

Post by Martin Wahlstr » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello fellow LINUX activists,

> before I start digging my way through the InfoMagic distribution, I just
> wanted to ask if anyone of you has already succeeded in setting up an
> ancient SUN 3/50 or 3/60 as a LINUX system.

> I've read about the possibility of using an old SUN 68k box (pre-SPARC, real
> old!) in a former InfoMagic CD set - but the kernel required to make a SUN
> boot over the net from an already running LINUX host seems to be missing on
> the August distribution :-(
[SNIP]
> Any suggestions? I know, the computing power isn't worth mentioning (16
> MHz), but the big 21" screens (b/w only) make them very good Xterms...

There is a packet called "Linux-Xkernel" for Sun3's.
I had a Sun3/80 and "almost" succeeded... ( had to return it before finished )
"Almost" cause of the xkernel is for all Sun3's BUT 3/80's.
You have a "not 3/80" so i think it will work w/o to much work...

It can be found at nic.funet.fi and other big linux ftp-sites.

Well, this isn't exactly what you wanted... but it might help you or
someone else out ther!

        Martin/

O========================================================================O
|  __  __        __    __                                                |

| / /\/\ \       \ \/\/ /          Tel:  08-7190702                      |
|(__)  (__)artin (__)(__)ahlstr?m        070-7645878                     |
|                                  WWW:  http://www.medio.mh.se/~martin/ |
|                                                                        |
O========================================================================O

LINUX on SUN 3/50 (3/60)?

Post by Saar Pick » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello fellow LINUX activists,
>before I start digging my way through the InfoMagic distribution, I just
>wanted to ask if anyone of you has already succeeded in setting up an
>ancient SUN 3/50 or 3/60 as a LINUX system.
>I've read about the possibility of using an old SUN 68k box (pre-SPARC, real
>old!) in a former InfoMagic CD set - but the kernel required to make a SUN
>boot over the net from an already running LINUX host seems to be missing on
>the August distribution :-(

[CUT]

>Any suggestions? I know, the computing power isn't worth mentioning (16
>MHz), but the big 21" screens (b/w only) make them very good Xterms...
>Alright, now I'll go and grep my way through the CDs (and read the
>LINUX-68k-FAQ) ... Please mail me, if you think you can help.
>Thanks,                   Ralf
>--

>[Munich, Germany]         |    Ceterum censeo, WINDOWS 95 esse delendam!
>Just a small node \\ |\/| |             Veni, vidi, RESET
>in the UUCP world  \\|||| |   (Bitte keine Werbung oder Umfragen einwerfen)

I too am trying to do this. I have a 3/110 and want to set this up.
But I'have no clue what to set up on my linux box to tftp boot the sun
off ethernet. If there is any faq about setting up something like
this, any pointers would be appreciated. I'm really new to this kind
of stuff and would be thankful for any help.

-Saar

LINUX on SUN 3/50 (3/60)?

Post by Andy McClemen » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> >before I start digging my way through the InfoMagic distribution, I just
> >wanted to ask if anyone of you has already succeeded in setting up an
> >ancient SUN 3/50 or 3/60 as a LINUX system.

Hope this helps... There is a complete distribution of everything needed
to run a Sun 3 as a Linux X-terminal at the location below. If I remember
right I didn't bother upgrading my nfs though. It worked first time for me
:-)

(original info courtesy of Wayne Ling)

Quote:>You may get the latest v2.0d xkernel linux distribution from
>trcsun3.eas.asu.edu:/pub/ross/hidden/Xkernel/.
>With the 2.0a version you will not be able to compile
>some of the files.

>Also, get nfs-server-2.2beta2.tar.gz from
>bach.cis.temple.edu/pub/Linux/packages/.
>This package has the latest rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.
>If I remember correctly, there is a compilation
>error. Just comment out the offending part.

>Follow the README file in xkernel distribution except
>the part on copying all files from the xdm-setup directory
>to your xdm directory (if you do you may have problem
>logging in later on).  Update the files in your
>/usr/lib/X11/xdm directory as necessary.

>Run "MAKEDEV std" in /usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3/dev/.
>This step is not described in the xkernel README file.
>Without this step, you will get a panic: init died
>message.

>If you run font server, make sure that the font server
>port number in the init file agrees with the one
>in you linux box.

>My xkernel runs X11R6 no problem.

Andy McClements   | 393-395 City Road   |    Tel: 0171 833 1875
Resource Manager  | London              |    Fax: 0171 833 1169

1. NetBSD on Sun 3/50 diskless booting from 3/60 using SunOS 4.1.1

Hi,

I recently got some Sun's.

They are currently running sunos 4.1.1, currently there is only disks on
one machine, the other 3 boot over the network.

I have them booting fine under sunos, I want have a look at NetBSD, and
at the moment I can get no further than tftping and then running the
netboot program. (it requests its IP address and then just sits and waits)

I can find no doco's on setuping up a diskless client, only on booting via
the net to install NetBSD on the local hdd.

can anyone shed some light on whats wrong? etc

Thanks..

Andrew

2. ATTENTION!!!

3. FS: Sun 3/50 and 3/60

4. Checking for a noisy line

5. PROBLEM: 2.4.20 Hangs, 2.4.2 didn't

6. FS: 7 Sun 3/50 and 3/60's

7. java plug problem on Solaris

8. FS: Sun 3/50 and 3/60

9. Sun 3/50 can't be NFS mounted by non-Sun Unix host

10. Sun display flickering on SunBlade 2000 and Sun Ultra 60 Stations